Movement's title doesn't refer to artistic growth — the band's second album is essentially more of the same. But frantic, frug-worthy stompers like "Confess" prove that's certainly not a bad thing. Then there's the raucous "Fire/Sign," which comes off like Ditto's ominous, don't-go-there warning to a gay friend not to be wasting time on undeserving dudes. "Now Mary, what are you thinking?" she tsk-tsks, assuming her role as rock's fag-haggiest soul mama.
•<\!s><\i>"SNAKE APPEAL," "NIGHT SCHOOL" 7-INCH (KILL ROCK STARS, 2003)
•<\!s><\i>"SLEEPERS," REAL DAMAGE EP (DIM MAK, 2005)
These little-heard gems suggest that, like her band's deceptively simple music, sometimes less can be best when it comes to Ditto's voice. "Do you understand what a mess you're making?" she calmly asks her thoughtless lover on the girl group–<\d>inspired "Snake Appeal," letting the subtle, oh-no-you-didn't tone in her voice provide a bigger eff-you than any bloozy bombast ever could.
"STANDING IN THE WAY OF CONTROL (LE TIGRE REMIX)," "STANDING IN THE WAY OF CONTROL" 12-INCH (KILL ROCK STARS, 2005)
Considering the dramatic depth of Ditto's voice has always rivaled that of today's finest dance divas, it's surprising that it took the Gossip so long to get their asses to the discotheque. If only they'd do it more often: This Le Tigre remix upgrades an already superb dance-punk track into the sort of deeply uplifting anthem for which shedding your inhibitions — along with some serious blood, sweat, and tears — under the mirror ball is made. Now you too can dance — for inspiration.
Most Commented On
- You know exactly what you’re - July 10, 2014
- You are perfectly free to give some of your profit to a - July 10, 2014
- But wait, Steven, Muni only recovers 20% of its costs in fares - July 10, 2014
- Barbie gets a makeover, San Francisco-style - July 10, 2014
- LA siren BANKS enchants The Independent | SF Music - July 10, 2014
- A Canola oil fire, maybe? | SF Music - July 10, 2014
- Nonprofit workers shout down Board of Supervisors meeting, 11 - July 9, 2014
- More like..........if you - July 9, 2014
- Civil rights attorney John Burris to sue SFPD over alleged - July 9, 2014
- UMLH was sold to a private - July 9, 2014