Movement's title doesn't refer to artistic growth — the band's second album is essentially more of the same. But frantic, frug-worthy stompers like "Confess" prove that's certainly not a bad thing. Then there's the raucous "Fire/Sign," which comes off like Ditto's ominous, don't-go-there warning to a gay friend not to be wasting time on undeserving dudes. "Now Mary, what are you thinking?" she tsk-tsks, assuming her role as rock's fag-haggiest soul mama.
•<\!s><\i>"SNAKE APPEAL," "NIGHT SCHOOL" 7-INCH (KILL ROCK STARS, 2003)
•<\!s><\i>"SLEEPERS," REAL DAMAGE EP (DIM MAK, 2005)
These little-heard gems suggest that, like her band's deceptively simple music, sometimes less can be best when it comes to Ditto's voice. "Do you understand what a mess you're making?" she calmly asks her thoughtless lover on the girl group–<\d>inspired "Snake Appeal," letting the subtle, oh-no-you-didn't tone in her voice provide a bigger eff-you than any bloozy bombast ever could.
"STANDING IN THE WAY OF CONTROL (LE TIGRE REMIX)," "STANDING IN THE WAY OF CONTROL" 12-INCH (KILL ROCK STARS, 2005)
Considering the dramatic depth of Ditto's voice has always rivaled that of today's finest dance divas, it's surprising that it took the Gossip so long to get their asses to the discotheque. If only they'd do it more often: This Le Tigre remix upgrades an already superb dance-punk track into the sort of deeply uplifting anthem for which shedding your inhibitions — along with some serious blood, sweat, and tears — under the mirror ball is made. Now you too can dance — for inspiration.
Most Commented On
- Just wondering here - March 15, 2014
- That's differerent. I have a right to harm myself but not to - March 15, 2014
- But market-rate homes create affordable homes. - March 15, 2014
- There must be a half dozen Walgreens in the Mission and I - March 15, 2014
- Looks like the cops were tolerant of the - March 15, 2014
- Oh Greg - March 15, 2014
- Jon Golinger, comical progressive sleaze. - March 15, 2014
- Or freedom to harm others - I don't think so - March 15, 2014
- I'd prefer a tax on telling others what to do. - March 15, 2014
- Yes more affordable - March 15, 2014