Movement's title doesn't refer to artistic growth — the band's second album is essentially more of the same. But frantic, frug-worthy stompers like "Confess" prove that's certainly not a bad thing. Then there's the raucous "Fire/Sign," which comes off like Ditto's ominous, don't-go-there warning to a gay friend not to be wasting time on undeserving dudes. "Now Mary, what are you thinking?" she tsk-tsks, assuming her role as rock's fag-haggiest soul mama.
•<\!s><\i>"SNAKE APPEAL," "NIGHT SCHOOL" 7-INCH (KILL ROCK STARS, 2003)
•<\!s><\i>"SLEEPERS," REAL DAMAGE EP (DIM MAK, 2005)
These little-heard gems suggest that, like her band's deceptively simple music, sometimes less can be best when it comes to Ditto's voice. "Do you understand what a mess you're making?" she calmly asks her thoughtless lover on the girl group–<\d>inspired "Snake Appeal," letting the subtle, oh-no-you-didn't tone in her voice provide a bigger eff-you than any bloozy bombast ever could.
"STANDING IN THE WAY OF CONTROL (LE TIGRE REMIX)," "STANDING IN THE WAY OF CONTROL" 12-INCH (KILL ROCK STARS, 2005)
Considering the dramatic depth of Ditto's voice has always rivaled that of today's finest dance divas, it's surprising that it took the Gossip so long to get their asses to the discotheque. If only they'd do it more often: This Le Tigre remix upgrades an already superb dance-punk track into the sort of deeply uplifting anthem for which shedding your inhibitions — along with some serious blood, sweat, and tears — under the mirror ball is made. Now you too can dance — for inspiration.
Most Commented On
- Presidential mission - July 28, 2014
- Good to see SFBG adopting the "charity model" for helping those - July 28, 2014
- Where I was on the day President Kennedy was shot - July 28, 2014
- Best of the Bay 2013: BEST NORTH BEACH FRY BOMB - July 28, 2014
- Ain't nobody who can sing -- or bring the progressive fire -- - July 28, 2014
- whistleblowers - July 28, 2014
- Not a failure, but definitely - July 28, 2014
- Agree, there are too many people in SF now for one very clear - July 28, 2014
- Wrong again. My point wasn't that my definition of "fairness" is - July 28, 2014
- growth? - July 28, 2014