The news-driven mood swings on LiveJournal are simultaneously hopeful and disturbing. It's comforting to know that when something literally earth-shattering happens — like Hurricane Katrina — people are genuinely worried about one another. We're not a bunch of numbed-out blog zombies. We're members of a human community, and we care when we read about other people being hurt.
Of course, the more we care about what the media tell us, the closer we get to having our feelings crassly manipulated — especially if cool hunters and other dipshits of the brandosphere start using the MoodGrapher to figure out what makes us excited and drunk and happy. Worse, politicians might study MoodGrapher for ways to tweak national sentiment. Sometimes, it's just better to keep your feeling tags to yourself. *
Annalee Newitz is a surly media nerd who never had a mood she could sum up in a tag.
Most Commented On
- I saw a hand-painted sign for her on a rural road in Marin - April 24, 2014
- Why lilli - April 24, 2014
- He tried to take a selfie with the speaker - April 24, 2014
- Loss of a lucid child is hard to recover from. - April 24, 2014
- Cindy is the strongest advocate for 100% solar power. - April 24, 2014
- Thank you drsacura from - April 24, 2014
- Dreamtime - April 24, 2014
- The SFBG School of Journalism School - April 24, 2014
- Lodging - April 24, 2014
- Cindy is like the energizer - April 24, 2014