Quinn rolled her eyes and started snapping pictures of the final bout. A cute herald with long blond hair called out the names of the fighters, the ladies for whom they fought, and their standards. She was interrupted briefly by another herald, who announced that somebody's car was being towed. Then the fight was on. An Arthurian knight in white who bore a broken lance instead of a shield was fighting a lanky 12th-<\h>century fellow in what looked like black Kevlar. At last the Arthurian knight struck the killing hit. After much heralding he was crowned king, and crowned his lovely partner queen, in a ceremony that was both touching and theatrical.
Night was falling, and the cold was getting to us. We decided to skip the feasting and head straight to Fry's Electronics without changing our garb. Wandering the warm, clean aisles, we were one of many strange, anachronistic groups who had traveled through time and/or space to buy laptops and WiFi equipment. Nobody looked twice at us. It was just another Saturday night in geekland.
Annalee Newitz is a surly media nerd whose favorite Anglo-Saxon poem is The Wanderer and whose new king will be announced on www.westkingdom.org.
Most Commented On
- H Brown with Chris Daly - June 19, 2013
- Oops! I accidentally - June 19, 2013
- A Tremendous Loss For Journalism - June 19, 2013
- Win what? - June 19, 2013
- http://www.genericviagratab.com/ - June 19, 2013
- The winger trolls win when intelligent commenters become - June 19, 2013
- Would you prefer that the - June 19, 2013
- I think you'd settle for "the Guardian's FUTURE to be assured" - June 19, 2013
- mwuahhhhhhh - June 19, 2013
- Not reading comments is always an answer - June 19, 2013