One musical has already drawn material from Gore's life for material, though her thoughts about Allison Anders's 1996 movie Grace of My Heart aren't fond ones. "Actually, nothing rang absolutely true in that movie," she says. "The actual history is that I didn't know I was gay until after college," she says.. "So whatever they put in [the movie] was more of a projected scenario than a reality. They asked me to write a song [for the movie], and it wasn't a completely pleasant experience. I realized they asked so they could exploit my name. Then they had the lack of decency to pretty much not invite me to the [movie's] opening." Needless to say, Gore's memories of working with what she calls "the Fame family" — and co-penning Irene Cara's "Out Here oOn My Own" — are happier.
As for today, the woman who has recently helped soundtrack The L Word and host In the Life is ready to hit the road for San Francisco with her band. "'"Judy's Turn to Cry" ' has completely erupted for me as new song, after taking out those horn and strings and bopp-y things," she says, discussing the "stripped-down" approach she takes to new tunes and classic hits. "You're gonna get a show we've been doing steadily for 4 or 5 months for months— it's grown in dimension, width, and height, and everyone is going to have a great time. Some people may have to turn their hearing aids up, but that's what friends are for." (Johnny Ray Huston)
Sat/22–-Sun/23, 8 p.m.
Brava Theater Center
2781 24th St., SF
$35–$-40 ($60 with includes Gala after-party)
For a Q&A with Lesley Gore, go to Noise, the sfbg.com music blog.
Most Commented On
- "But I can't find a phone - December 21, 2013
- I agree that the tech - December 21, 2013
- It was painted on, i.e. a - December 21, 2013
- What You Are Describing Richmondman Is Simply Not The Reality - December 21, 2013
- This music sux - December 21, 2013
- He does like to talk doesn't - December 21, 2013
- How is this called punk ? - December 21, 2013
- So, Guest - December 21, 2013
- Posting a nonsense statement twice - December 21, 2013
- 73% is from one poll taken several months ago - December 21, 2013