The second reason is that many folks affect being allergic to such things. "What is it supposed to be, some sort of daffy collision of Burning Man and the Renaissance Faire?" they wonder, retching into their lattes. Well, kind of. The guy behind it all is indeed Brad Olsen, he of the legendary, way-back-when Consortium of Collective Consciousness parties and a prime Burning Man mover. His organization, Peace Tours, is dedicated to "achieving world peace through technology, community, and connectedness," which, as mentioned above, pretty much plays to woowoo shamanism type. (The fair even has booths selling "peace pizza." I shit you not.) And, of course, all medieval jouster wannabes are welcome — as are their jangly jester caps.
But the time for trendy uppitiness about such things has passed. There are no big clubs in the city left where you can get down with thousands of freaks anymore, and the millennial explosion of street protests has keyed more people in to the power, if not exactly the purpose, of vibing with crowds who share their general intentions. As the drag queen said, it's all about expression. And these days (has it really come to this?) any expression of hope and peace — especially if there's beer available — is very greatly appreciated.
So please, purple fuzzy boy, if you're reading this — please come down to the How Weird Street Faire. After all, it's spring. We need you. SFBG
How Weird Street Fair
May 7, noon–8 p.m.
12th Street and South Van Ness, SF
$10 donation, $5 with costume, free for kids
Most Commented On
- LOL. Why do you think I - December 10, 2013
- Nobody forces you to come - December 10, 2013
- "For example, there is data - December 10, 2013
- Then you wouldn't mind - December 10, 2013
- Steven and Joe: Ignore the - December 10, 2013
- Luducrious! Ms/Ms - December 10, 2013
- "And too many of them think - December 10, 2013
- If you have to start out by - December 10, 2013
- People cannot be entrusted to operate cars safely - December 10, 2013
- As for the bums losing and - December 10, 2013