"They're a writer's theater in that they do exclusively new work, and find the playwrights that appeal to them," Sol??s agrees. At the same time, however, he believes Campo Santo is a strong actor's theater. "There's a reason why they're drawn to Erin Cressida Wilson or Naomi Iizuka. There's a real reason why they're drawn to Denis [Johnson]. And Denis now, as I do and I'm sure the other writers are doing — we're writing to suit the company. They have a great core of talent. They really know how to stretch and take chances. They do very dangerous acting."
Remarkably, 10 years along, Campo Santo continues to convey that sense of immediacy, a sense of raw intensity, risk, and daring, while always matching it with exceptional skill and a youthful, street-smart confidence.
Sol??s puts the formula succinctly: "They like passion. They like works about passion. And passion also in that religious sense." SFBG
Campo Santo 10th anniversary
Gala, Sat/3, 7 p.m.
Brava Theater Center, 2781 24th St, SF. $25
Real Women, Rock ’n’ Roll, and Karaoke:
The Work of Campo Santo and Jessica Hagedorn, June 9, 7:30 p.m.
Finale: Finding the Future, June 10, 7:30 p.m.
Intersection for the Arts, 446 Valencia, SF. $9–$20
Most Commented On
- Biking could be for everyone if we wanted - December 13, 2013
- Biking could be for everyone...if we wanted it to be - December 13, 2013
- Why is it always an external - December 13, 2013
- You bought 32 Adair from - December 13, 2013
- Yeah, when the bike nuts say "hey, it works in Holland" - December 13, 2013
- Cocaine works as well, as - December 13, 2013
- It has worked. Take a look at your year-end 401K statement - December 13, 2013
- The point is that the demand for homeless services is infinite - December 13, 2013
- CM - December 13, 2013
- Amsterdam is flat - December 13, 2013