"They're a writer's theater in that they do exclusively new work, and find the playwrights that appeal to them," Sol??s agrees. At the same time, however, he believes Campo Santo is a strong actor's theater. "There's a reason why they're drawn to Erin Cressida Wilson or Naomi Iizuka. There's a real reason why they're drawn to Denis [Johnson]. And Denis now, as I do and I'm sure the other writers are doing — we're writing to suit the company. They have a great core of talent. They really know how to stretch and take chances. They do very dangerous acting."
Remarkably, 10 years along, Campo Santo continues to convey that sense of immediacy, a sense of raw intensity, risk, and daring, while always matching it with exceptional skill and a youthful, street-smart confidence.
Sol??s puts the formula succinctly: "They like passion. They like works about passion. And passion also in that religious sense." SFBG
Campo Santo 10th anniversary
Gala, Sat/3, 7 p.m.
Brava Theater Center, 2781 24th St, SF. $25
Real Women, Rock ’n’ Roll, and Karaoke:
The Work of Campo Santo and Jessica Hagedorn, June 9, 7:30 p.m.
Finale: Finding the Future, June 10, 7:30 p.m.
Intersection for the Arts, 446 Valencia, SF. $9–$20
Most Commented On
- Um... Tenant's rights might - July 24, 2014
- FncnUMLWjS - July 24, 2014
- hope you will share so much - July 24, 2014
- Re; - July 24, 2014
- NSA surveillance scandal goes full tilt clown - July 24, 2014
- jMYvwYeYbjltKJ - July 24, 2014
- osKHyQslGcOvSWA - July 24, 2014
- GWBcLSahBpZ - July 23, 2014
- I never said I "studied" it (whatever that means) - July 23, 2014
- Justice is a highly subjective notion - July 23, 2014