Most of the Belgians that come over here are looking for something strong and hoppy. So I'd try and find them something like Old Yeltsin — brewed by HopTown Brewing Company in Pleasanton — or a barley wine. There's a bar and grill called Schooner's in Antioch that makes a barley wine. It's quite strong — around 10 or 11 percent — and they age it for a year or two or three, and it's astounding. So I'd go with our own styles. There are also some American breweries that are doing a Belgian style. In the Bay Area one place for that is Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa — they do stunning stuff.
SFBG So you might say that Europeans understand American beer.
BRAND There's a lot of respect in Europe for American beer makers today. And there's no animosity at all. The thing about beer is that people are never snobby. People only become beer snobs when they don't know what they're talking about — or when they're talking about crappy beer. SFBG
Want more brew-haha? Contact William Brand at email@example.com.
21st Amendment Brewery www.21st-amendment.com
Drake's Brewing www.drinkdrakes.com
Marin Brewing Company www.marinbrewing.com
Magnolia Brewery www.magnoliapub.com
HopTown Brewing Company www.hoptownbrewing.com
Russian River Brewing Company www.russianriverbrewing.com
Most Commented On
- Nieto was a nutjob with a gun - April 19, 2014
- The fact that you call the police "scum" shows that you are - April 19, 2014
- So no evidence about this specific case then? - April 19, 2014
- I thought it was a very well-reasoned and informed commentary - April 19, 2014
- MifzLadaGVFAfrHZPyrE - April 19, 2014
- aPrGFUQSglRWYdCVqQEd - April 19, 2014
- emmwJxTNhUldAmR - April 19, 2014
- XgKfnknBmkZCMvCjwQ - April 19, 2014
- VNlGqkKEQFGErPtOQbm - April 19, 2014
- fjRrURcpKIToLz - April 19, 2014