In all, Martsch sounds more like a ’burb-bound Neil Young than ever before, harnessing a semi-tamed Crazy Horse for his garage jams with his Seattle- and Boise-based bandmates while sidestepping the dangers of repeating himself and working in almost undetectable jabs at the current political environment.
Looking back at the gap between Ancient Melodies and You in Reverse, Martsch is quick to point out that the band actually took only a yearlong breather between tours and recording. But the reason they took the break, he confesses, was that "I just really burned out. I was just kind of tired of Built to Spill and wasn't very interested in alternative rock in general." He discovered Delta blues around the time he recorded Keep It Like a Secret and, he explains, "that's all that sounded very good to me."
That changed when the group got together to jam for You in Reverse, which Martsch describes as Built to Spill's most collaborative album yet. He hopes with the official addition of Netson that he can write songs with the rest of the band while Built to Spill is on tour and recording songs at studios across the country. "I'm just kind of excited," says Martsch. And that's a major score for someone who claims he doesn't think he has a "real lust for life."
"I think the best things Built to Spill ever does are yet to come on some sort of level." SFBG
BUILT TO SPILL
Wed/21-Sat/24, 9 p.m.
333 11th St., SF
Most Commented On
- Wait a sec. I know texting - April 16, 2014
- CA taxes capital gains as if it were income - April 16, 2014
- Federal criminal indictment of PG&E doesn't go far enough - April 16, 2014
- Lots of private companies would meet the transit demand - April 16, 2014
- I always vote no on every revenue Prop anyway. - April 16, 2014
- "Relocation payments are - April 16, 2014
- Relocation payments are taxed at lower capital gain rates - April 16, 2014
- "Maybe wait a couple of years - April 16, 2014
- VOTE NO on new Bonds for SFMTA in November - April 16, 2014
- The city won't be buying buildings but if you want to buy a - April 16, 2014