I don't think we really have any agenda other than to freak ourselves out.”
Ushered in with The Fearless Freaks; 20 Years of Weird: the Flaming Lips 1986–2006 (a collection of live recordings and oddities), their current tour, the DeRogatis book, the Fearless Freaks documentary, and next year with luck Christmas on Mars (Coyne's feature film debut as a director), At War turns out to be, indeed, a war album, questioning uses and abuses of power with the opening track, "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song."
But that's not to say Coyne shies away from the band's evangelical tendencies. "We're using drama and music and sort of heightening the whole experience to be somewhat of a religious experience," he explains. "I think all good rock ’n' roll has that. But hopefully the agenda is that you, as an individual, at the end of the day, decide what's great about your life instead of looking to some rulebook or some invisible force up in space somewhere. Music is just one part of it, and at the end of the day, to me, it's dumb entertainment." Aye, aye, matey? SFBG
With Ween and the Go! Team
Sat/22, 6:30 p.m.
Greek Theatre, UC Berkeley, Berk.
ROOTS OF OCHIS
Get down with these pulsating Northern Cali indie darlings. Just do it. No questions. Wed/19, 9:30 p.m., Hemlock Tavern, 1131 Polk, SF. $7. (415) 923-0923.
The lovely Bay Area indie rockers' album is coming out on Devendra Banhart and Andy Cabic's label, Gnomensong. Thurs/20, 9 p.m., Café du Nord, 2170 Market, SF. $7. (415) 861-5016.
RACONTEURS AND KELLEY STOLTZ
Midwestern rock supergroupies meet the Detroit native–SF vinyl diehard (who was pals with Brendan Benson back in the day). Sat/22–Sun/23, 8 p.m., Warfield, 982 Market, SF. $29.50–$37.50. (415) 775-7722.
Enter It's a Bright Guilty World (Future Farmer); then enter the dragon. The Kingdom and Junior Panthers also perform. Sun/23, 9 p.m., Bottom of the Hill, 1233 17th St., SF. $8–$10. (415) 621-4455.
Legendary gospel-soul sister communes with the eucalyptus. Sun/23, 2 p.m., Stern Grove, SF. Free. sterngrove.org.
Most Commented On
- Mr. Jones has made a good point here. - December 11, 2013
- No, SFBG only has the IP address that he or she used. - December 11, 2013
- SF progressives use the word "white" as a slur. - December 11, 2013
- If they have a job, then they can buy healthcare insurance - December 11, 2013
- The best way to help il;legals is to hire them, so they can buy - December 11, 2013
- Good luck taxing something invisible. - December 11, 2013
- No recorded cyclist fatalities in Aspen - December 11, 2013
- The reasons were primarily fiscal - December 11, 2013
- Except that there is no post at 9:58 a.m. on this thread - December 11, 2013
- SF Genius! - December 11, 2013