This midday option (available until 3 p.m.) also includes half a crab roll — with a seam of melted cheddar cheese that seems out of place — a stack of good fries, and a watermelon point. The roll's roll was soft and toasty warm, but I wondered: if this is a half roll, how big is a full roll? The answer must be that if you have to ask, you don't want to know.
You can also get fried Ipswich clams (flown in from New England) on a roll, but at dinnertime one does not favor sandwiches, so we go instead to the platter version ($20), a formidable mass of clam meat liberated from shells and given a knobbly breading before the quick swim in hot oil. Impressions: excellent rough-tender texture, clam meat has a chicken-livery flavor I'd never noticed before, and a plateful of fried clams with french fries is a lot of fried. A squeeze or two from a lemon wedge cuts the greasiness a little though not a lot, but even a little is better than nothing.
An excess of fried food during a dinner's savory sequence can induce panic about dessert — i.e., should I have fries and a slice of chocolate mousse cake with a scoop of gelato? should I phone ahead for an ambulance? — but Woodhouse solves this problem by not offering dessert. You might luck out at dinner and score, gratis, a thumbnail-size brownie for everyone in your party: petits fours, crab-shack-style. I admire this cheerfully stern no-sweets policy. And ... a hint for you sugar sluts: Just Desserts is just around the corner. SFBG
WOODHOUSE FISH COMPANY
Daily, 11:45 a.m.–9:30 p.m.
2073 Market, SF
Beer and wine
Most Commented On
- These protesters need to be crushed. - December 21, 2013
- Ed Lee is a progressive mayor. - December 21, 2013
- Maybe these protesters would like a martyr. - December 21, 2013
- What revolution? Americans are too fat and happy to revolt. - December 21, 2013
- So it's OK to go around breaking windows then? - December 21, 2013
- Lee's 73% approval rating is not high enough for you? - December 21, 2013
- If you know of any tax evasion, contact the IRS - December 21, 2013
- Their reputation isn't damaged as much as the reputation of - December 21, 2013
- Shuttle bus use of Muni bus stops is not illegal - December 21, 2013
- how i got my man back - December 21, 2013