But neither am I leaving myself wide open to identity theft and surveillance.
When somebody breaks into your computer and looks at your private data, geeks say that your computer has been "owned." And if your computer is utterly taken over, all its information plundered egregiously, you've been "pwned" — a bit of geek slang that comes from some dork who made a typo on IRC back in the day. I know that I'm pwned by the government, pwned by Google, pwned by my reliance on Windows OS. But they haven't pwned my brain, OK? I'm still going to write the truth about myself and the world; I'm still going to throw away bill stubs like a normal person.
Say it loud and clear: we will not be pwned! If that isn't a 21st-century protest cry, I don't know what is. SFBG
Annalee Newitz is a surly media nerd who was thrilled to discover that the Wikipedia entry for "pwn" includes a section on pronunciation.
Most Commented On
- fyi, marcos, AAA has a dismal record on motorists' rights - March 7, 2014
- Christopher Dolan AGAIN? - March 7, 2014
- So criticizing someone who - March 7, 2014
- Funny, I felt the same way about Jerry Brown - March 7, 2014
- So in other words you feel - March 7, 2014
- That is the Gods truth, but - March 7, 2014
- That's one of the lamest responses I've seen here - March 7, 2014
- "David Chiu took on the - March 7, 2014
- I think that obeying the laws - March 7, 2014
- It's an interesting idea - March 7, 2014