I felt like trying out that side of my brain, love expression in music, though I'm not sure what side of the brain love comes out of, mixed in with heart and guts, all working together." "Simple Love," for instance, concerns an SF relationship that didn't pan out due to Dondero's rambling ways.
In all, he's happy with the new countryish, more piano-oriented album, which reputedly continues to show off Dondero's considerable writing choppage. "It's got a folk song called 'One-Legged Man and a Three-Legged Dog,' inspired by a one-legged man walking a three-legged dog in Golden Gate Park," says the songwriter. "A match made in heaven."
Recorded in a studio called the Sweat Box, sans Pro Tools (the faux funk-metal-country record is next, he jokes), the disc was designed to tug the heartstrings, Dondero explains. "It sounds kind of beachy. Easy listening. Soft rock. Adult contemporary," he observes. "I'm 37. I'm making music for myself and hoping to try and make my mother cry on this one." SFBG
With Centro-matic and the Decoration
Wed/6, 9 p.m.
Bottom of the Hill
1233 17th St., SF
IVY ROOM FAREWELL SHOWS
With Dave Gleason's Wasted Days, the Moore Brothers, the Loved Ones, Carlos Guitarlos, Rusty Zinn, Mover, Ride the Blinds, Eric McFadden Trio, "Soundboutique," and Nino Moschello
Sept. 15–17, call or see Web site for times and prices
858 San Pablo, Albany
Most Commented On
- The rule is four or maybe - March 12, 2014
- How would one expect outside - March 12, 2014
- At what point, and more - March 12, 2014
- PUT A PICTURE if you want - March 12, 2014
- I'm just asking questions - March 12, 2014
- Taxi Insurance - March 12, 2014
- Good luck SFBG/Ex - screw the Chron if they're doin that - March 12, 2014
- Here's what wouldn't surprise me - March 12, 2014
- The trolls here find even a huge fire a reason to troll here - March 12, 2014
- Aside from the conversation - March 12, 2014