I felt like trying out that side of my brain, love expression in music, though I'm not sure what side of the brain love comes out of, mixed in with heart and guts, all working together." "Simple Love," for instance, concerns an SF relationship that didn't pan out due to Dondero's rambling ways.
In all, he's happy with the new countryish, more piano-oriented album, which reputedly continues to show off Dondero's considerable writing choppage. "It's got a folk song called 'One-Legged Man and a Three-Legged Dog,' inspired by a one-legged man walking a three-legged dog in Golden Gate Park," says the songwriter. "A match made in heaven."
Recorded in a studio called the Sweat Box, sans Pro Tools (the faux funk-metal-country record is next, he jokes), the disc was designed to tug the heartstrings, Dondero explains. "It sounds kind of beachy. Easy listening. Soft rock. Adult contemporary," he observes. "I'm 37. I'm making music for myself and hoping to try and make my mother cry on this one." SFBG
With Centro-matic and the Decoration
Wed/6, 9 p.m.
Bottom of the Hill
1233 17th St., SF
IVY ROOM FAREWELL SHOWS
With Dave Gleason's Wasted Days, the Moore Brothers, the Loved Ones, Carlos Guitarlos, Rusty Zinn, Mover, Ride the Blinds, Eric McFadden Trio, "Soundboutique," and Nino Moschello
Sept. 15–17, call or see Web site for times and prices
858 San Pablo, Albany
Most Commented On
- Economic cleansing - December 11, 2013
- What a mealy-mouthed comment. - December 11, 2013
- Of course - December 11, 2013
- Sounds like an oldie with an axe to grind - December 11, 2013
- Agreed. "Look for him to find - December 11, 2013
- Don't get me wrong. This guy - December 11, 2013
- This country is filled with homeless and poor - December 11, 2013
- I think this septic man is - December 11, 2013
- It concluded a lot - December 11, 2013
- Here's what works: If you - December 11, 2013