Or the blue-corn enchiladas ($12) filled with grilled chicken and topped with melted white cheese and a tart tomatillo salsa.
My friend the cheddarhead, a reliable lover of all things cheesy, did not like the queso chorizo ($5), a small tub of melted mixed cheeses laced with chunks of chili sausage and strips of green chile. The cheese did have a certain Velveeta quality, but it was just the right consistency for dipping surplus chips into. The guacamole ($5), meanwhile, was mainstream but beautifully made, with fresh avocados still chunky from not being overmashed and a good jolt of lime juice for mood lighting. The cheddarhead lodged no complaints.
The contemplation of desserts in Mexican restaurants is usually a perfunctory business. You have flan, and maybe something else. At Tortilla Heights, the dessert menu is characteristically brief, but it does contain one extraordinary item: the churros ($4), a half dozen or so ridged torpedoes of cinnamon-dusted, deep-fried pastry, about the size of medium zucchini, with a ramekin of caramel sauce for dipping them in. The sauce is good, but if it weren't there you probably wouldn't miss it, because the churros are sufficient unto themselves: a divine combination of crunchy and tender, sweet but not too sweet, an exotic whisper of cinnamon, and — yes — the fattiness that makes pastry, pastry, particularly if deep-fried. You might well feel uneasy, maybe even guilty, about enjoying them so much, but don't worry — you had the fish tacos and didn't like the queso, so you'll be OK. SFBG
Continuous service: Tues.–Sun., 11–2 a.m.
1750 Divisadero, SF
Most Commented On
- Police your own rank self. - December 9, 2013
- Or the employees who live here could pay RE taxes - December 9, 2013
- Congratulations, SFBG. Your - December 9, 2013
- The thing about people who - December 9, 2013
- Every single person who works at google - December 9, 2013
- Well only if you assume all - December 9, 2013
- Progressives need to police their own ranks - December 9, 2013
- Reagan used to say weird made up things - December 9, 2013
- Ask me how I found my lost love of my life - December 9, 2013
- You can't afford to live. - December 9, 2013