I discovered that a forever-ago partner had developed the disease, and as much as I would rather have sporked my own eyes out, I called the people I'd seen since (thankfully, there weren't many of these) and informed them of the teensy-weensy risk. Nobody cared. I do hope I called them back after I finally got tested ... um ... all clear, guys, OK?
As for the right-wing antisex conspiracy, well, I'm with you as far as not trusting this administration as far as I could throw them — and really, really wanting to throw them — but the CDC is not so bad (and anyway the World Health Organization agrees with it about HCV). Look up Dr. Julie Gerberding, the Bush-appointed director of the CDC, and you'll find her support for safer-sex education reviled and her appointment tsk-tsked on the Web sites of Focus on the Family, Concerned Women for America, and Accuracy in Media, among others. The enemy of your enemy is your friend.
Andrea Nemerson has spent the last 14 years as a sex educator and an instructor of sex educators. In her previous life she was a prop designer. And she just gave birth to twins, so she’s one bad mother of a sex adviser. Visit www.altsexcolumn.com to view her previous columns.
Most Commented On
- Yawn - December 4, 2013
- There Is No Car Lobby - December 4, 2013
- You seem to have a lot of anger towards those whose lifestyles - December 4, 2013
- I'm not confusing anything. - December 4, 2013
- No Car Lobby? - December 4, 2013
- "Their massive sense of ego - December 4, 2013
- "San Francisco and its - December 4, 2013
- 20 by 20 is a meaningless slogan, so of course the supes voted - December 4, 2013
- You confuse equality of opportunity with equality of outcome. - December 4, 2013
- The amount of car travel is far more than 100 times that of - December 4, 2013