I discovered that a forever-ago partner had developed the disease, and as much as I would rather have sporked my own eyes out, I called the people I'd seen since (thankfully, there weren't many of these) and informed them of the teensy-weensy risk. Nobody cared. I do hope I called them back after I finally got tested ... um ... all clear, guys, OK?
As for the right-wing antisex conspiracy, well, I'm with you as far as not trusting this administration as far as I could throw them — and really, really wanting to throw them — but the CDC is not so bad (and anyway the World Health Organization agrees with it about HCV). Look up Dr. Julie Gerberding, the Bush-appointed director of the CDC, and you'll find her support for safer-sex education reviled and her appointment tsk-tsked on the Web sites of Focus on the Family, Concerned Women for America, and Accuracy in Media, among others. The enemy of your enemy is your friend.
Andrea Nemerson has spent the last 14 years as a sex educator and an instructor of sex educators. In her previous life she was a prop designer. And she just gave birth to twins, so she’s one bad mother of a sex adviser. Visit www.altsexcolumn.com to view her previous columns.
Most Commented On
- This is the agency Tim Redmond wants to charge with purchasing - April 16, 2014
- Campos will push for vacancy control if he gets in the Assembly - April 16, 2014
- Guess the potholes in the - April 16, 2014
- Wait a sec. I know texting - April 16, 2014
- CA taxes capital gains as if it were income - April 16, 2014
- Federal criminal indictment of PG&E doesn't go far enough - April 16, 2014
- Lots of private companies would meet the transit demand - April 16, 2014
- I always vote no on every revenue Prop anyway. - April 16, 2014
- "Relocation payments are - April 16, 2014
- Relocation payments are taxed at lower capital gain rates - April 16, 2014