I discovered that a forever-ago partner had developed the disease, and as much as I would rather have sporked my own eyes out, I called the people I'd seen since (thankfully, there weren't many of these) and informed them of the teensy-weensy risk. Nobody cared. I do hope I called them back after I finally got tested ... um ... all clear, guys, OK?
As for the right-wing antisex conspiracy, well, I'm with you as far as not trusting this administration as far as I could throw them — and really, really wanting to throw them — but the CDC is not so bad (and anyway the World Health Organization agrees with it about HCV). Look up Dr. Julie Gerberding, the Bush-appointed director of the CDC, and you'll find her support for safer-sex education reviled and her appointment tsk-tsked on the Web sites of Focus on the Family, Concerned Women for America, and Accuracy in Media, among others. The enemy of your enemy is your friend.
Andrea Nemerson has spent the last 14 years as a sex educator and an instructor of sex educators. In her previous life she was a prop designer. And she just gave birth to twins, so she’s one bad mother of a sex adviser. Visit www.altsexcolumn.com to view her previous columns.
Most Commented On
- take her to both! - July 23, 2014
- The Beach Boys - July 23, 2014
- Defending corrupt unions - July 23, 2014
- It's a myth that socially responsible investment - July 23, 2014
- I don't quite get the indie rock connection here either - July 23, 2014
- Blame the Rent Control - July 23, 2014
- It would appear that many, many people love the new condos - July 23, 2014
- So long as the Mayor's Office - July 23, 2014
- It's important to have a token girl actor in an action movie so - July 23, 2014
- Hey, Marke, you provided all the amusing material here - July 23, 2014