I discovered that a forever-ago partner had developed the disease, and as much as I would rather have sporked my own eyes out, I called the people I'd seen since (thankfully, there weren't many of these) and informed them of the teensy-weensy risk. Nobody cared. I do hope I called them back after I finally got tested ... um ... all clear, guys, OK?
As for the right-wing antisex conspiracy, well, I'm with you as far as not trusting this administration as far as I could throw them — and really, really wanting to throw them — but the CDC is not so bad (and anyway the World Health Organization agrees with it about HCV). Look up Dr. Julie Gerberding, the Bush-appointed director of the CDC, and you'll find her support for safer-sex education reviled and her appointment tsk-tsked on the Web sites of Focus on the Family, Concerned Women for America, and Accuracy in Media, among others. The enemy of your enemy is your friend.
Andrea Nemerson has spent the last 14 years as a sex educator and an instructor of sex educators. In her previous life she was a prop designer. And she just gave birth to twins, so she’s one bad mother of a sex adviser. Visit www.altsexcolumn.com to view her previous columns.
Most Commented On
- Exactly. These people think - May 22, 2013
- Oh, the humanity! - May 22, 2013
- I mourn the loss of your innocence. - May 22, 2013
- Big Talker, do you EVER take - May 22, 2013
- Bad Jaywalking does. - May 22, 2013
- "Colen and other panelists - May 22, 2013
- There's an article that addresses this issue in... - May 22, 2013
- Your repulsive. - May 22, 2013
- Lil Reese - May 22, 2013
- What is "staggering expense" if City doesn't repair potholes? - May 22, 2013