By and large, Sweden and Denmark enjoyed remarkably progressive social attitudes at the time. After preliminary taboo-nudging efforts, one dam broke with I, a Woman, a notorious tell-all turned into a show-all (by 1966 standards) portrait of the sexually restless "new woman." It grossed an astonishing $4 million in the United States alone. But that was nothing compared to I Am Curious (Yellow), a Godardian "kaleidoscope" of hard-to-separate documentary, improv, and staged elements encompassing all the era's sexual, political, and intellectual questionings. Finally allowed to screen in America (over 18 months after its late-1967 Stockholm premiere), it was probably the most-seen and most-loathed crossover hit prior to The Blair Witch Project — similarly drawing audiences who expected familiar genre exploitation but got something much rawer and more challenging.
A whole series of Danish porn comedies and angsty Swedish sex dramas continued to be churned out until the mid-’70s. The Scandis had brought down many original barricades: Torgny Wickman's 1969 Language of Love (which Robert de Niro takes Cybill Shepherd to see in Taxi Driver) might be the first commercial feature to show unobscured intercourse. But they soon found themselves intellectually bored and pushed aside marketwise by the expanded allowance for soft- and hardcore production elsewhere. The yahoos (us folks) had won by simultaneously commercializing and marginalizing the Sex Rev. SFBG
Opens Fri/6 in Bay Area theaters
See Movie Clock at www.sfbg.com for showtimes
"SWINGING SCANDINAVIA: HOW NORDIC SEX CINEMA CONQUERED THE WORLD"
Thurs/5, 7:30 p.m.; Sat/7, 7 and 9 p.m.
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
701 Mission, SF
Most Commented On
- Posting 40 year old skits to make a point - December 21, 2013
- No, I want for Google, - December 21, 2013
- SFBG hard on for faux Google protests lasting longer than 4hours - December 21, 2013
- "But I can't find a phone - December 21, 2013
- I agree that the tech - December 21, 2013
- It was painted on, i.e. a - December 21, 2013
- What You Are Describing Richmondman Is Simply Not The Reality - December 21, 2013
- This music sux - December 21, 2013
- He does like to talk doesn't - December 21, 2013
- How is this called punk ? - December 21, 2013