The coinages are arbitrary; there is no specific etymology"), but here's Tennov herself, back in 1977: "I first used the term 'amorance,' then changed it back to 'limerence'.... It has no roots whatsoever. It looks nice. It works well in French. Take it from me, it has no etymology whatsoever."
So there we have it. As long as it works well in French! Unless Dorothy Tennov writes in telling me that she didn't, after all, pull "limerence" out of her scholarly ass, I'm standing by my story.
Andrea Nemerson has spent the last 14 years as a sex educator and an instructor of sex educators. In her previous life she was a prop designer. And she just gave birth to twins, so she’s one bad mother of a sex adviser. Visit www.altsexcolumn.com to view her previous columns.
Most Commented On
- i am so greatful to dr samba - December 8, 2013
- Butt ugly fool full of old - December 8, 2013
- Adding to my earlier post: I - December 8, 2013
- Suspending Judgement - December 8, 2013
- Also regarding The Hallowed, - December 8, 2013
- The devout worshipers of The - December 7, 2013
- Well said. I'm sure the - December 7, 2013
- "There will also be food, - December 7, 2013
- Ugh this sounds miserable. I - December 7, 2013
- Trolls such as yourself - December 7, 2013