The coinages are arbitrary; there is no specific etymology"), but here's Tennov herself, back in 1977: "I first used the term 'amorance,' then changed it back to 'limerence'.... It has no roots whatsoever. It looks nice. It works well in French. Take it from me, it has no etymology whatsoever."
So there we have it. As long as it works well in French! Unless Dorothy Tennov writes in telling me that she didn't, after all, pull "limerence" out of her scholarly ass, I'm standing by my story.
Andrea Nemerson has spent the last 14 years as a sex educator and an instructor of sex educators. In her previous life she was a prop designer. And she just gave birth to twins, so she’s one bad mother of a sex adviser. Visit www.altsexcolumn.com to view her previous columns.
Most Commented On
- we covered that this week - July 26, 2014
- I understand that the SFBC - July 26, 2014
- San Francisco needs - July 26, 2014
- Artificial turf - July 26, 2014
- Moron - July 26, 2014
- Golden Gate Park, an - July 26, 2014
- What a monumental waste of everyones time - July 26, 2014
- Are You A Bot? - July 26, 2014
- Oh Bullshit - July 26, 2014
- How Much Do You Make? - July 26, 2014