out of its pledge to build rental units on Parcel A of the former Hunters Point Naval Shipyard.
Add it all up, and it becomes understandable why many Bayview residents buy into the vision that Bay View publisher Willie Ratcliff has repeatedly put on the front page of his newspaper: "the bulldozers are at our borders," just waiting to turn Bayview into one more white yuppie enclave and make a handful of politically connected developers rich in the process.
Officials strenuously deny this is true, arguing that this redevelopment project is all about helping the area by building more affordable housing, infrastructure, and open space and noting how the plan strictly forbids the seizure of residential property by eminent domain.
"The agency has that historical baggage, but we haven't done anything like that in many years," Marcia Rosen, director of the Redevelopment Agency, told us.
That hasn't allayed fears in Bayview or among its allies outside the community, most notably Brian Murphy O'Flynn, whose North Beach property was seized by the city in 2003 to be turned into a park.
"I thought, 'These people are getting steamrolled,’” O'Flynn told us. "The people there are going to be displaced.... It comes down to money. [Powerful people] want that neighborhood. It's right on the water, and it's going to make some people rich."
Nonetheless, O'Flynn has concerns about the other impacts of Prop. 90, so much so that he has parted ways with his Bayview allies on the measure and refused requests by Prop. 90 advocates to join the campaign.
"I have no position on 90," O'Flynn said. "But I understand how it came about." SFBG
Most Commented On
- Steven, when the cost per ride is wildly higher than much bigger - July 24, 2014
- You always make that remark when you have no response. - July 24, 2014
- No, Yo, there is no significant difference between the two - July 24, 2014
- Not overfunded - July 24, 2014
- lol - July 24, 2014
- Guest, I see where you are heading, and... - July 24, 2014
- Of course he does - July 24, 2014
- Same with the SF Green Party - ovewhelmingly white - July 24, 2014
- Yeah, but if you have really good tech skills why would you ever - July 24, 2014
- Why didn't the author give a breakdown by eye color or - July 24, 2014