4 and has said after West's passing, "I started the Runaways with Sandy West. We shared the dream of girls playing rock ’n' roll. Sandy was an exuberant and powerful drummer. So underrated, she was the caliber of John Bonham. I am overcome from the loss of my friend. I always told her we changed the world."
Jett is still out to change the world, it seems, when I spoke to her recently from her tour bus shortly before West's death. Her new album, Sinner, on her own Blackheart Records, had just come out, and she was psyched about its politically and spiritually oriented material. After chatting about the Warped Tour ("I had my BMX bike and rode around from stage to stage checking out as much music as I could") and producing the first Germs LP for her friend Darby Crash ("We got serious for about four days and probably as un-fucked-up as we could be and went in there and made a great record"), Jett got in one last push for rocking women like herself and West.
"I think the environment for women is just as bad now [as when I started Blackheart Records]," she said. "In fact, I think it's even more dangerous because there's this illusion of equality, when in fact, that's not the case at all. Girl bands can't seem to get above that successful club level, then they run into that glass ceiling thing." SFBG
JOAN JETT AND THE BLACKHEARTS
Sat/4, 9 p.m.
805 Geary, SF
1131 Polk, SF
BUDGET ROCK SHOWCASE
2330 Telegraph, Oakl.
Most Commented On
- They claimed to represent the 99% - March 9, 2014
- No matter who posts it, - March 9, 2014
- I agree that government is corrupt and a big part of the problem - March 9, 2014
- Marcos and his point. - March 9, 2014
- No one needs to try and make progressives look bad - March 9, 2014
- I don't think SFBG has ever claimed to represent the majority - March 9, 2014
- Yep, population is what counts if the question is about - March 9, 2014
- You should ask that question if the Bay Guardian - March 9, 2014
- Think the poster meant - March 9, 2014
- I think Oakland's a little - March 9, 2014