4 and has said after West's passing, "I started the Runaways with Sandy West. We shared the dream of girls playing rock ’n' roll. Sandy was an exuberant and powerful drummer. So underrated, she was the caliber of John Bonham. I am overcome from the loss of my friend. I always told her we changed the world."
Jett is still out to change the world, it seems, when I spoke to her recently from her tour bus shortly before West's death. Her new album, Sinner, on her own Blackheart Records, had just come out, and she was psyched about its politically and spiritually oriented material. After chatting about the Warped Tour ("I had my BMX bike and rode around from stage to stage checking out as much music as I could") and producing the first Germs LP for her friend Darby Crash ("We got serious for about four days and probably as un-fucked-up as we could be and went in there and made a great record"), Jett got in one last push for rocking women like herself and West.
"I think the environment for women is just as bad now [as when I started Blackheart Records]," she said. "In fact, I think it's even more dangerous because there's this illusion of equality, when in fact, that's not the case at all. Girl bands can't seem to get above that successful club level, then they run into that glass ceiling thing." SFBG
JOAN JETT AND THE BLACKHEARTS
Sat/4, 9 p.m.
805 Geary, SF
1131 Polk, SF
BUDGET ROCK SHOWCASE
2330 Telegraph, Oakl.
Most Commented On
- What a ridiculous argument - - March 12, 2014
- Probably nothing more to it than just an accident; - March 12, 2014
- Insurance - March 12, 2014
- Time to fess up. Greg, - March 12, 2014
- No, it was caused by an Uber - March 12, 2014
- Steven, do you understand the difference between an idea and the - March 12, 2014
- Newsflash to wired guy and - March 12, 2014
- Wait, I thought the fire was caused by a google shuttle bus? - March 12, 2014
- Inside insurance jobs happen durtng down RE markets. - March 12, 2014
- The progressive theory is that new homes increases rents and - March 12, 2014