And keeping that success rolling may mean tempering his philosophy of selecting tracks by artists from other countries, female artists, and those that represent genres not easily slotted into the Clear Channel and MTV pigeonholes.
"At PST we struggle with trying to be this sexy, cool, tastemaker thing and then doing these community organization parties," he reflected. "And the community organizations come and bring their bases, and their bases don't want to hear SA-RA Creative Partners necessarily. They want to hear commercial rap, because that's what a lot of our folks listen to."
Nevertheless, at 11:20 on a recent Thursday night, Levende was rapidly filling up, and the already packed dance floor had no problem getting down to SA-RA's "Hollywood." But half an hour later there was a markedly bigger response when Sake dropped “Keep Bouncing,” a track by Too $hort featuring Snoop Dog and will.i.am that the majority of DJs digging SA-RA joints wouldn't let near their crates.
"DJs should break records, and nightclubs should be places for not just new music but new ideas," Sake explained. "People should be open to new sounds ... and people should be open to having a nightlife experience that isn't [divorced] from thinking about what is going on in the world outside — that [doesn't just accept] that you have to step over homeless people to get into the nightclub, you have to disrespect the bar staff to get your drink quicker, you have to touch a girl's ass if she won't dance with you." Walking the line between educating and entertaining, Sake 1 is making San Francisco a better place with a party that might just have it both ways. SFBG
SAKE 1 AT PACIFIC STANDARD TIME
Thursdays, 10 p.m.
1710 Mission, SF
Most Commented On
- Well said Marcos - December 22, 2013
- The buses ARE the riders. No - December 22, 2013
- Regarding Paula Tejada- rent - December 21, 2013
- Do you like music from the - December 21, 2013
- Yeah, I remember when - December 21, 2013
- So you rather them drive to - December 21, 2013
- That's absurd and you know - December 21, 2013
- Too funny - December 21, 2013
- So because someone is wrong on one thing - December 21, 2013
- What's more, it's a myth - December 21, 2013