Now firmly attached to the improv-oriented Radon, which has a new CD, Tunnel Diner, MacKay is looking forward to getting some long-awaited attention from rags like Wire. "I've been crawling around in old Victorians for years in San Francisco," he said. "But I haven't had to bend any conduit for a while."
NIGHT OF THE HUNTER Houston singer-songwriter Jana Hunter makes music that taps into a whole other kind of electricity — spooked and resonant, as if she were channeling a damaged, Depression-era dust bowl damsel. After hearing this year's Blank Unstaring Heirs of Doom, one might even consider her the spiritual kin of Devendra Banhart, who decided with Vetiver's Andy Cabic to put out the record as the first on their Gnomonsong label. Hunter has just finished her new second album for them, but she's still haunted by the heirs of her debut's title. "That was a funny but dark description of a group of my friends," she told me from Houston. "They are people who are prone to disaster and obsessed with horror movies and kind of follow this process of creating things through self-destruction or finding entertainment or fulfillment in the process of destroying things. I was definitely like that at the time."
She was enlisted to play various maniacs in several of her friends’ homemade homicidal-freak flicks: one of the movies will be included on an enhanced CD with Hunter's dark-camp rock band, Jracula. "I didn't know anything about horror movies till they made me watch a bunch of them," she explained. "We watched them and made horror movies and drank ourselves sick several nights a week for a couple years. It was pretty fantastic." Killer. SFBG
STEVE MACKAY AND THE RADON ENSEMBLE
Wed/29, 9:30 p.m.
1131 Polk, SF
Sat/2, 8 p.m.
180 Capp, SF
Most Commented On
- Yeah, well, there are so few BMR units that it doesn't make much - December 11, 2013
- Units with low ceilings are ideal for Asians and Hispancis. - December 11, 2013
- CORRECTION: If HE wants to - December 11, 2013
- These will be divied up between various non profits - December 11, 2013
- Why should height limits be removed for BMR housing? - December 11, 2013
- He has a point though. SF's so-called "tolerance" has allowed a - December 11, 2013
- What does he have to be sorry about? - December 11, 2013
- Never saw it. What was so offensive about it? - December 11, 2013
- If we wants to see where the - December 11, 2013
- "Each time I pass it my love - December 11, 2013