The voters have made it very clear that they don't like the president's war, and the Democrats have a clear mandate for change.
Impeachment is serious business, but Bush has left us no alternative. We can't simply allow the war to continue as it has been, year after bloody year, until Bush's term expires.
The only thing holding up impeachment hearings is the word of the incoming speaker, Nancy Pelosi, who said during the campaign that option was "not on the table." Well, it ought to be on the table now. Pelosi should publicly inform Democratic leaders in the House who support impeachment that she won't block an impeachment effort. And her constituents in San Francisco need to keep the pressure on her to allow Congress to move forward on its most important responsibility in decades.
This isn't going to be easy. Even the San Francisco Chronicle now acknowledges that Pelosi is governing like a moderate. It will take a reenergized peace movement and a huge new national mobilization to put pressure on her and every member of Congress. But the stakes are too high to wait. It's time to start, today. SFBG
Most Commented On
- Multiple Posting Anti-Semitism Guest is at it again. - May 25, 2013
- Johnny a breath of fresh air after Tim, etc. - May 25, 2013
- Actually, deciding who gets - May 25, 2013
- Convict Bradley Manning - all counts. - May 25, 2013
- "Republicans are assholes" - May 25, 2013
- The reactionary nutbags... where do they get this "stand down" - May 25, 2013
- Demented and confused, you are such an ignorant sot that - May 25, 2013
- Bigger shmigger, I'll give - May 25, 2013
- "Even Nixon was a big liberal - May 25, 2013
- That'll be the only valid point he makes for a while, so he - May 25, 2013