Even the limited punch of the report has been largely stymied by the most rabidly pro-war forces of American media and politics.
But those forces don’t really need to worry about the likes of Colin Powell, James Baker and Lee Hamilton -- as long as the argument is over how the U.S. government should try to get its way in Iraq.
“We are losing -- we haven’t lost -- and this is the time, now, to start to put in place the kinds of strategies that will turn this situation around,” Powell told CBS viewers on Dec. 17. That sort of talk stimulates endless rationales for continuing U.S. warfare and facilitates the ongoing escalation of the murderous U.S. air war in Iraq.
Powell’s mendacious performance at the U.N. Security Council, several weeks before the invasion of Iraq, is notorious. But an obscure media appearance by Powell, when he was interviewed by the French network TV2 in mid-September 2003, sheds more light on underlying attitudes that unite the venture-capitalist worldviews of “moderates” like Colin Powell and “hardliners” like Dick Cheney.
Trying to justify Washington’s refusal to end the occupation, Powell
explained: “Since the United States and its coalition partners have invested a great deal of political capital, as well as financial resources, as well as the lives of our young men and women -- and we have a large force there now -- we can’t be expected to suddenly just step aside.”
Norman Solomon’s book “War Made Easy: How Presidents and Pundits Keep Spinning Us to Death” is out in paperback. For more information, go to: www.normansolomon.com
Most Commented On
- Just you wait...when these - December 10, 2013
- the Marsh - December 10, 2013
- You have got to be joking - December 10, 2013
- What about the employees? Are we have more jobs. - December 10, 2013
- Flapper Costumes - December 10, 2013
- Homeless Art - December 10, 2013
- Vintage Dresses - December 10, 2013
- Corsets China Manufacturers - December 10, 2013
- On which page of your Guide - December 10, 2013
- If your skin is too thin - December 10, 2013