The one exception we found on our visits was a loose-leaf lasagna, stuffed with mascarpone and sauced with wild mushroom, for $16, or $9 for an appetizer portion.
I liked the pork chop it was cooked medium rare and so remained juicy and was awed at its Neanderthal-worthy proportions, but I did think it cost about $10 too much. I was more impressed with a petrale sole roulade ($26) in which the filets were wrapped, California rollstyle, around a core of Dungeness crab meat and asparagus spears. The excellent fries on the side, presented with tarragon mayonnaise for dipping, were an added value, but even without them I would have thought the fish was pricey but probably worth it.
For a fledgling restaurant, service has already been polished to a high gloss. The host radiates the warmth of someone giving a private party, and table staff are both efficient and unobtrusive about replenishing water and bread (slices of simple baguette, still warm) and replacing used flatware. You can watch them come and go in the wall mirrors that girdle the small dining room in the rear, and have I ever been in a restaurant in a gay neighborhood that didn't have some mirror action? I have been in plenty of restaurants, in all sorts of neighborhoods, that don't offer Voss ($7), the Norwegian sparkling water (with sublimely fine bubbles and presented in a spectacular, tall cylinder of clear glass) said to be favored by Madonna. I did not catch a glimpse of her in the mirrors nor in the lounge upstairs, but as Eureka's vogue grows, she is bound to find it sooner or later. *
EUREKA RESTAURANT AND LOUNGE
Dinner: Tues.Thurs., 610 p.m.; Fri.Sat., 611 p.m.; Sun., 59 p.m.
4063 18th St., SF
First floor wheelchair accessible
Most Commented On
- grDYUUCRImLrc - July 30, 2014
- With ObamaCare, why do we even need SFGH? - July 30, 2014
- The most important housing imperative for SF is not to house - July 30, 2014
- It doesn't work like that - July 30, 2014
- "We have a city of 5,000 - July 30, 2014
- What am I missing here? - July 30, 2014
- These workers can simply live - July 30, 2014
- Wrong, the city desperately needs all kinds of housing but - July 30, 2014
- Wiener is the smartest of the supervisors and so I'd expect him - July 30, 2014
- This is the flip side of the - July 30, 2014