It is horror and humor, the twin children of their mother imagination, which open a sea chest of all memories, hanging above the heart an anchor and above the plow a star." Fantasy embraces the nostalgia and hope that we've spent our angsty years repressing. When you think all hope is lost but then that Giorgio Moroder track starts, you just weep like a very small child.
Sarah Enid Hagey's short films include The Great Unknown and Lovelorn Domestic.
JESSE HAWTHORNE FICKS'S 10 PICKS*
(1) Old Joy (Kelly Reichardt, US).
(2) The New World (Terrence Malick, US).
(3) L'Enfant (Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne, Belgium/France). Be patient with this quiet cinematic poem along with my first two picks, it will completely break your heart.
(4) Battlestar Galactica (created by Michael Rymer, US). I know, I know, it's on the SciFi Channel. But seriously, this show is more thought-provoking than most feature films.
(5) A Scanner Darkly (Richard Linklater, US). Creatively hypnotizing and terrifyingly relevant.
(6) The Departed (Martin Scorsese, US). Best performance of the year, easily: Marky Mark.
(7) District B13 (Pierre Morel, France). The Transporter + John Carpenter's politics = sheer bliss.
(8) Mutual Appreciation (Andrew Bujalski, US). It's embarrassing to connect so strongly to these awkward hipsters attempting to figure themselves out.
(9) Hostel (Eli Roth, US). How satisfying is it to watch a bunch of sexist, homophobic, xenophobic Americans get horrifically sliced and diced? Try multiple viewings.
(10) BloodRayne (Uwe Bol, US/Germany). Another supersleazy, terrifically pathetic video game adaptation by the master of contemporary B-movies.
* Though he hasn't seen David Lynch's Inland Empire yet.
Jesse Hawthorne Ficks teaches film history at the Academy of Art University and programs "Midnites for Maniacs" at the Castro Theatre.
SAM GREEN'S TOP 10
(1) "The Tailenders," P.O.V. (Adele Horne, US)
(2) John and Jane (Ashim Ahluwalia, India)
(3) Portrait #2: Trojan (Vanessa Renwick, US)
(4) Old Joy (Kelly Reichardt, US)
(5) Reporter Zero (Carrie Lozano, US)
(6) Rap Dreams (Kevin Epps, US)
(7) "Lampoons and Eye-tunes," an evening of Bryan Boyce's short films at the ATA on Oct. 7
(8) Workingman's Death (Michael Glawogger, Austria/Germany)
(9) "War-Gaming in the New World Order," presentation by film critic Ed Halter at the ATA on Oct. 21
(10) American Blackout (Ian Inaba, US)
Sam Green is the director of The Weather Underground and Lot 63, Grave C.
DENNIS HARVEY'S 10 MOST ALARMING PORN TITLES (NO, HE DID NOT MAKE THESE UP)
• Bareback Twink Squat
• Hole Sweet Hole
• Dirt Pipe Milkshakes
• I Dig 'Em in Pigtails 2
• Boob Exam Scam 3
• CSI: Cum Swappers Incorporated
• Gorgeous Chloroformed Women!
• A Little Cumster in the Dumpster
• What Happens Between My Tits Stays Between My Tits
• Ass Jazz 2
Dennis Harvey is a Guardian contributing writer and a reviewer for Variety.
RIAN JOHNSON ON THE TELEVISION RENAISSANCE OF 2006
I resisted for a long while.
Most Commented On
- And we're off to the - June 19, 2013
- Yeah...that is the part that Steven makes up - June 19, 2013
- That interview is from a few - June 19, 2013
- Jesus Christ what a boring interview - June 19, 2013
- KrisKraft = Daniele = AnnGarrison = Erika = Sue - June 19, 2013
- Avalos never once reached out to anyone who disagreed with him. - June 19, 2013
- let's test that theory. who - June 19, 2013
- Get a life. - June 19, 2013
- Xorauguynaijznw - June 19, 2013
- Xorauguynaijznw - June 19, 2013