For Otto, Ida's insatiable aspirations are baffling. Why can't she be content with what they have at the moment? "Why is the here and now an obstacle that has to be overcome?" he asks, not understanding that her relentless quest for more is an attempt to compensate for the affection Otto has trouble articuutf8g and that she has trouble detecting in his actions.
Like those of the demanding fishwife in the fairy tale, Ida's dreams soon outstrip all realistic measure, and her seemingly endless good fortune catapults them from camper van to condo to country home in quick succession. The more preposterous their prosperity, though, the greater the gap becomes between their understanding of each other's emotional needs, and it's increasingly apparent that something will have to give if love is to be preserved. Narrated in part by a chorus of tategoi who await their own transformation, The Fisherman and His Wife examines the age-old dilemma of miscommunication between the sexes and the modern-day struggle for a balance of family, career, and koi a word that means not just fish but love. *
The 12th annual Berlin and Beyond Film Festival runs Jan. 1120 at the Castro Theatre, 429 Castro, SF; Goethe-Institut, 530 Bush, SF; and Point Arena Theatre, Hwy. One, Point Arena. Tickets (most shows $5$15) are available at www.ticketweb.com; for additional information, visit www.goethe.de/sanfrancisco.
Most Commented On
- So any landlord who might have Ellised next year or the year - April 16, 2014
- Muni has an abysmal farebox recovery rate as it is - April 16, 2014
- "Planetary climate emergency!!!" - April 16, 2014
- Yeah, glad they made Muni - April 16, 2014
- There was a long discussion here a couple of weeks ago - April 16, 2014
- 100% Clean & Renewable By 2050 Is The New Climate Goal - April 16, 2014
- At minimum, the major arterial routes into downtown could be - April 16, 2014
- This is not what California - April 16, 2014
- How would you know that? Can - April 16, 2014
- Privatize it and it - April 16, 2014