"We're actually having goals thrust upon us," said Johnson, a Wallingford, Conn., native who works as a systems administrator at CNET. "We're sort of drowning in goals at this point a lot of offers to put out records, show offers."
It's a radical change from Johnson's last, late '90s band, Botulism. "We would pretty much clear rooms," he recalled. The first "iteration" of Wooden Shjips, which began a few years ago, consisted of nonmusicians. Johnson wanted bandmates who would bring the willingness to learn but leave the ego at home. "Musicians are a pain in the ass," said the grinning guitarist, who confesses he did want to "dictate a little bit." Unfortunately, nonmusicians also didn't often come with the dedication. "In fact, in the first version our drummer quit because we started talking about playing shows," Johnson added, chuckling.
Making music white label or no continues to be the focus: Johnson, Jermier, "nonmusician" keyboardist Nash Whalen, and drummer Omar Ahsanuddin have already begun recording on a creaky eight-track reel-to-reel in the SoMa practice space they share with the Fucking Champs. And perhaps Johnson will find use for the box of Botulism singles he has in his closet, selling them as Wooden Shjips juvenilia. "I'd rather just revert to the old plan and put them on bus seats or in the library," he said with a smile, "and see if people discover them on their own." *
Mon/15, 9 p.m.
Cafe du Nord
2170 Market, SF
Most Commented On
- We will not rest until every - December 8, 2013
- I disagree. Noise issues between any pair of neighbors is - December 8, 2013
- Over-paying workers only happens where the government - December 8, 2013
- Is this the "war on phones"? Curious. - December 8, 2013
- "Troll" is a word used here to describe anyone who holds a - December 8, 2013
- Almost everyone here is male. - December 8, 2013
- San Franciscans evidently love self-righteous, santimonious - December 8, 2013
- Mmm, yummy, quinoa with tofu. - December 8, 2013
- Spanky new SUV - December 8, 2013
- She never had a spanky new - December 8, 2013