If we force Web publishers to turn in or silence their fellow citizens, which group will be forced to do it next? Sales clerks? Librarians? Rental car agents? Forcing citizens to turn against one another is not going to prevent crime. It's only going to spark prejudice and lead to greater social injustice.
Be on the lookout for the next version of the McCain-Schumer "Stop Online Expression" bill especially as election season draws a bit nearer. Don't let it fool you. This isn't about saving the children. It's about scapegoating and censorship. And it will let the real criminals go free. *
Annalee Newitz is a surly media nerd who isn't in your database.
Most Commented On
- Illegal in-laws have full rent control protection - March 7, 2014
- Anderson is anti-police and anti-business - March 7, 2014
- #SaveLibertyHall - March 7, 2014
- How many times now has Steven refused to answer the simple - March 7, 2014
- Sean, yes, there may be some local tax due as well as - March 7, 2014
- No, in-laws can be easily vacated by declaring them to the city. - March 7, 2014
- Streetsblog is relentlessly anti-car. - March 7, 2014
- Wrong. Most deaths on the road are accidents. - March 7, 2014
- Aaron, it's your "flat earth argument" policy that is abused - March 7, 2014
- well, yeah, but they like - March 7, 2014