FIXED-GEAR FIX Mr. July, bare chested, coyly toys with a Rubik's Cube, the waistband of his Champion boxer-briefs just visible above his brown leather belt with a "Philadelphia Freedom" buckle. Mr. November, sandwiched between two Muni cars, has his T-shirt pulled up to just above his nipples, revealing washboard abs and a plethora of tattoos. Mr. February gazes longingly over the Mission rooftops, one slippered foot swinging like a come-on over the edge.
What do they have in common besides month-based nomenclature? They're all local bike messengers who were lustily photographed by Svet, Laura Downey, Peter Taylor, and Kevin White for the 2007 "At Your Service" bike messenger calendar.
If you're a big gay like me, you spent most of the postChili Peppers, preWarped Tour '90s playing not fantasy football but fantasy bike squad, dreaming of scruffy, rough-and-tumble boys like the ones pictured in the calendar streaking over hill and dale on their FrankenTreks to deliver their special package to you (insert back-door delivery joke here). A few years and several actual messenger scores later (yep, that was me on Craigslist) brought the reality that fantasy is best savored virtually but that doesn't mean I had to quit looking.
The calendar, shot by Bay Area photogs and laid out by local gear-queen designer Downey, brings a breath of sweaty, last night's beerscented air to any cubicle or bathroom. Indulge yearlong in the grungy goodness! (Marke B.)
Calendar available ($10) at Box Dog Bikes, 494 14th St., SF. (415) 431-9627, www.boxdogbikes.com; and Refried Cycles, 440 Haight, SF. (415) 621-2911, www.refriedcycles.com; or by e-mailing Laura Downey at email@example.com
Most Commented On
- Most of the families I know - May 19, 2013
- They love unicorns and Santa Claus too - May 19, 2013
- The difference is perspective... - May 19, 2013
- You're correct, but I sense - May 19, 2013
- Ignoranc - May 19, 2013
- Support for the Ban????? - May 19, 2013
- "you have black and hispanic - May 19, 2013
- Wrong. Renting will be the - May 19, 2013
- That's what makes it a beloved San Francisco event - May 19, 2013
- Two thirds of San Franciscans do not own their homes - May 19, 2013