"When conventional notions of gender and sexuality are always blurred or challenged or in flux, I think perhaps all the fluidity carries over to form a particularly post-modern attention span." Or maybe Bailey is just a new breed of gendernerd, whose attachment to one particular gender identity morphs as often as an attachment to a particular flavor of Linux or a particular API.
In my old workplace I frequently pasted over the gender markers on the single-room bathrooms I printed "Carbon-based lifeforms only" on a piece of paper that was just big enough to cover the stick figure in a skirt. Luckily my coworkers enjoyed the joke, and we all made it an unwritten rule that we would use whatever bathroom was available, no matter what our genders. Now I plan to spread the genderfree bathroom meme online by adding good bathrooms to the database. When I can write a sentence like that, I really do feel like I'm living in the future. *
Annalee Newitz is a surly media nerd who really has to pee right now.
Most Commented On
- Bill would tax companies with wide CEO-worker pay disparities - July 31, 2014
- sgyMlTICwBXusOZI - July 31, 2014
- Hello, i am glad to read the - July 31, 2014
- Russia's Olympic moment: Let's really gay this f*cker up - July 30, 2014
- Government smackdown - July 30, 2014
- AqzRCSYUftu - July 30, 2014
- Tale of two parties: Was the 8 Washington defeat a referendum - July 30, 2014
- Barbie gets a makeover, San Francisco-style - July 30, 2014
- Sweet, psyched-out, and dirty - July 30, 2014
- Call to action issued at San Francisco vigil for Trayvon Martin - July 30, 2014