Invoking the spirit of George Moscone and Harvey Milk "so that we may be worthy of their powerful legacy," Assemblymember Mark Leno announced his candidacy March 2 for the State Senate seat now held by Carole Migden, setting off a high-profile fight between the two for the Democratic Party nomination next year.
"Welcome to democracy in action. Welcome to people power," Leno told the large crowd that gathered under the warm noontime sun at Yerba Buena Gardens, adjacent to the Martin Luther King Memorial and Moscone Center with its rooftop array of solar panels, which Leno said he will work to bring to more buildings.
MCing the event was Assessor Phil Ting, who praised Leno's efforts to legalize same-sex marriage and said, "That's the kind of leadership and integrity we deserve in San Francisco." District Attorney Kamala Harris then told the crowd, "I stand here in strong and unequivocal support for Mark Leno."
Among the other local notables on hand to support Leno were Fiona Ma, Susan Leal, Laura Spanjian, Julian Davis, Kim-Shree Maufas, Hydra Mendoza, Norman Yee, Lawrence Wong, Donna Sachet, Theresa Sparks, James Hormel, Natalie Berg, Bob Twomey, Jose Medina, August Longo, Linda Richardson, Calvin Welch, Jordanna Thigpen, Leah Shahum, Tom Radulovich, David Wall, Tim Gaskin, Esperanza Macias, and Espanola Jackson.
Notably absent were all the members of the Board of Supervisors, but it's still very early in a campaign that is bound to be heated. (Steven T. Jones)
Most Commented On
- YES - April 17, 2014
- Great comment. Erin! - April 17, 2014
- iRTbxaAgNwj - April 17, 2014
- The real numbers - April 17, 2014
- QTghuaOydKScOznS - April 17, 2014
- Can we get a PLAN that would account for WHY it got THIS way? - April 17, 2014
- ktZsBggaecnA - April 17, 2014
- NxPnOIoODTaKUeSUdi - April 17, 2014
- I hope you see my testimonies and also pray for my family too - April 17, 2014
- he's very nice and great a spell caster here is email. obasispel - April 17, 2014