Whereas David Lynch at times uses all the excesses of a bad rock video to give form to the dream logic that structures his films, Apichatpong "Joe" Weerasethakul creates quietly evocative reveries. Pierced by moments of sharp humor and unexpected beauty, Apichatpong's movies are imbued with a sense of openness, a responsive flexibility that allows their course to be redirected by serendipitous forces: a song, memories, folk tales. On the eve of the theatrical premiere of his new Syndromes and a Century, I called him on the phone.
SFBG What sort of movies did you watch growing up?
APICHATPONG WEERASETHAKUL In the '70s I watched a lot of old Thai films and American films. At the time there were all the catastrophe movies, like Earthquake or Towering Inferno I love those movies! And then there were [Steven] Spielberg's and [George] Lucas's films. I was really into their special effects.
SFBG In an interview you did with the Web site Criticine, you said movies are a form of black magic. I was really taken with that quote.
AW I don't know if there's a message there. But for me the power of film is not just to hypnotize. It's a kind of magic for living as well. I have to be able to express [myself] as a filmmaker, otherwise it's very hard to share my ideas or feelings. [Film is] like medicine, but it's not. So maybe that's a way in which there is some magic going on. (Matt Sussman)
To read a longer Q&A with Apichatpong Weerasethakul, go to the Pixel Vision blog at www.sfbg.com/blogs/pixel_vision.
Most Commented On
- The same way you keep your job: - May 22, 2013
- I look forward to reading Johnny Angel's - May 22, 2013
- "very funny--but I notice - May 22, 2013
- Great work, looks like you - May 22, 2013
- awesome. i love this. - May 22, 2013
- No more Manhattanization of - May 22, 2013
- Union's mayoral candidate soundly defeated in LA....?! - May 22, 2013
- Kevin, I promise that the minute I feel a need for a - May 22, 2013
- Everything has become the - May 22, 2013
- Dude, learn how to follow a thread or I will - May 22, 2013