But the veggie pancake ($5.25) was unlike anything I've had before, a kind of soft Asian crepe, like a socca or farinata, made from ground lotus and taro root (instead of chickpea flour) and spruced up with water chestnuts, scallions, and pesto.
We also detected European influences, or echoes, in a duck curry stew ($9.95), a crock of meat, potatoes, and carrots that resembled beef burgundy, except that the beef was duck (a little fatty, but tasty) and the sauce had no red wine but plenty of yellow curry, mildest of the Thai curries. Spicy sunflower chicken ($6.75), on the other hand, though not yellow, was straight from Thailand a larb, really, of minced white chicken tossed with a lively combination of Thai basil, garlic, and chiles. The meat was heaped in the center of a large plate, with canoelike leaves of endive set around the perimeter like hour markings on a watch. The endive was convenient for the scooping up of the minced meat, of course, but even after the leaves had run out, all the members of our table, forks in hand, were jostling for a crack at the last of the chicken.
The kitchen at David's Kitchen doesn't much look like the kitchen at Canteen, Dennis Leary's small boutique place downtown. Leary's kitchen is L-shaped, for one thing, and also more exhibitiony: you can sit at the counter and watch the chef work the stoves.
But to be at either place is to be aware that the restaurant as a labor of love is a phenomenon that persists even in this overpriced city and that there are a few fine chefs who still do their own cooking. And then some. *
Lunch: Tues.Sat., 11:30 a.m.2:30 p.m. Dinner: Tues.Thurs. and Sun., 59:30 p.m., Fri.Sat., 510 p.m.
1713 Taraval, SF
Beer and wine
Most Commented On
- Re: Their findings resonate - April 17, 2014
- FDkUvCUnyS - April 17, 2014
- Yes, which is why I agree with them. - April 17, 2014
- Everyone has known CCSF is a mess since forever. - April 17, 2014
- The Hail Mary pass was the city's lawsuit - April 17, 2014
- All that said, Greg, I agree with you that Sunday parking should - April 17, 2014
- Drivers build in the cost of the odd ticket into their - April 17, 2014
- No, Greg, you fell into a trap and it was noted. - April 17, 2014
- No, for once Greg gets this right. - April 17, 2014
- Why not, Jym? Their findings resonate with many people - April 17, 2014