There are two miles of soft sand and tide pools to explore, as well as a lagoon, a lava tube, and, if you look close enough on the cliffs, the remains of an old railroad.
HOW TO FIND IT From Tunitas Creek Way, south of Half Moon Bay, the beach is about a mile up Highway 1. Around 100 yards north of Highway 84 on 1, take the dirt road past the big white gate with the Toll Road sign. Go a few hundred feet, and just after the 55 mph sign on your right, turn left on the dirt road (look for the address 19429 above the fence) and head past a grassy field to the parking lot, where you'll be asked to pay an entrance fee. Take the long path from the lot to the sand; everything north of the trail's end is clothing optional. The beach is also accessible from the San Gregorio State Beach parking area to the south; from there hike about a half mile north. Take the dirt road past the big white gate with the Toll Road sign to the parking lot.
THE BEACH You'll find caves, cliffs, driftwood structures, and a beach full of clean, rolling sand. Pets are OK (though dogs are not allowed on weekends or holidays); fires, cameras, and overnight camping are banned. Swimming is not recommended. There are toilets in the parking lot.
THE CROWD On the warmest days, 50 to 200 visitors may be spread along the sprawling beach, which is so large that it never feels crowded. Straight couples and families tend to hang out on the south end of the beach, gay men on the north side.
PROBLEMS Fee, wind, riptides, cold water, summer fog, sex on the beach or in driftwood condos, not much of a social atmosphere. *
For more nude beaches, please check out our official guide, which is in the process of being updated.
Most Commented On
- It's no longer anywhere near 73% - December 21, 2013
- It's 51% now - December 21, 2013
- Where do you live and where - December 21, 2013
- I'm glad the BG (the - December 21, 2013
- That's an awful thing to say. - December 21, 2013
- You again with the Move to - December 21, 2013
- What part of "official poll" don't you understand? - December 21, 2013
- So you're fine to subsidize tech companies - December 21, 2013
- I wrote the comment at 7:09pm - December 21, 2013
- Posting 40 year old skits to make a point - December 21, 2013