One day, even burglars might find their targets by Googling.
For now, however, Google Street View only covers a few cities, and the interface is a little slow. But the van is still out there, taking pictures automatically, posting everything it sees online. And the interface will improve. Is the dubious convenience of this tool worth the privacy trade-off? Do you really want to walk down the street never knowing whether your furtive nose-picking or secret meeting with a colleague has been captured and broadcast to the Google-using public? *
Annalee Newitz is a surly media nerd who will not stop picking her nose furtively in public and reserves the right to be pissed if you publish a picture of her doing it.
Most Commented On
- VOTE NO on all the phony money heists! - March 17, 2014
- Incorrect On All Three Points - March 17, 2014
- So in other words you have no - March 17, 2014
- Alcohol helps everyone get laid, and the species to propagate. - March 17, 2014
- It's easy to see why you need - March 17, 2014
- Exactly. - March 17, 2014
- I've seen words like "sharks", "hogs", "snakes", "vultures" and - March 17, 2014
- Enough animosity to have a commonly accepted - March 17, 2014
- exactly - March 17, 2014
- True, and in fact the word "progressive" itself us devoid of any - March 17, 2014