At the same time, I'm trying to retell new histories in old languages. I want to make objects that exist in between the sculptural and the functional in an effort to insert art back into everyday life.
WORDS OF WISDOM Art objects are useless; craft objects are utilitarian.
NAME Jonathan Solo
WHAT I DO Draw, eat, sleep, sex, draw, dance, laugh, cry, scream ... not in that particular order. I roam the city and its late-night haunts with my beautiful, crazy, talented friends, protected by a black rose on my chest and my custom Jobmaster 14-hole oxbloods. I have a piece in a current group show at Catharine Clark Gallery and a solo show there next year. I also have contributed to the Besser collection at the de Young, opening this October.
WORDS OF WISDOM I observe the beauty and decay of humanity. Aren't the strange the most interesting, powerful, and telling of who we are? I'm fascinated by the amount of energy we use to oppress our true selves. I say fuck 'em! Own who you are and walk forward boldly it's made me a more sensitive artist, lover, friend, son, and brother.
MORE www.cclarkgallery.com; (415) 531-3376
NAME Matt Sussman
WHAT I DO I am a freelance film writer, and I DJ under the moniker Missy Hot Pants. My friends and I run a party in Oakland called Dry Hump. Our sets include everything from Gui Boratto to Baltimore club remixes to Ethel Merman doing disco. We're playing Juanita More's Playboy party at the Stud on June 30, so come work off your post-Pride hangovers.
MOTTO "Make visible what, without you, might perhaps never have been seen." Robert Bresson.
NAME Jamie Vasta
WHAT I DO Working with glitter and glue on stained wood panels, I create "paintings" of figures exploring dark, dazzling landscapes. I am interested in predatory beauty and the balance (or imbalance) between nature and culture. My work is currently on view in the group show "Stop Pause Forward" at the Patricia Sweetow Gallery. I'll be having a solo show there in mid-October.
WORDS OF WISDOM Glitter connotes an image of cheapness made glamorous the superficial, the frivolous. But to dazzle is to have power this is something drag queens have known all along.
MORE www.jamievasta.com; www.patriciasweetowgallery.com *
Most Commented On
- Who gets to define - December 20, 2013
- Such a collective investment - December 20, 2013
- Absolutely. They need to give us money and do as they're told. - December 20, 2013
- "pay their fair share?" - December 20, 2013
- What part of "Promote the general welfare" are you missing? - December 20, 2013
- Google, Apple, Facebook and - December 20, 2013
- This war is as contrived as the rights war on Christmas - December 20, 2013
- A sport bar for gay people is - December 20, 2013
- Yes, and they have agreed to pay their fair share - December 20, 2013
- True believers share the same pathology - December 20, 2013