No bowl of restaurant soup would be complete without accents, and here these include rounds of linguica, a scattering of skinned potato chunks, and, over the top, a few squirts of extra-virgin olive oil, whose own green sheen makes a subtle contrast to the soup's opaque silkiness.
While I can accept the rationale for a tuna melt it is an energetic way of disguising canned tuna's mediocrity I am not sure it applies to crab, even out-of-season crab. Nonetheless, the restaurant offers a crab melt ($12.95), really a kind of faintly too-sweet crab salad topped by meltings of cheddar cheese. Crab is so naturally sweet that it doesn't need mixing with commercially prepared mayonnaise. In a related, industrial vein, an accompanying side dish of grilled yellow corn ($3.95), served off the cob, was mushy and sweet in a way that did not convince. And in the middle of corn season, no less.
Not all sweetness is a sin, of course, and meantime I am in awe of any kitchen that can make something appealing out of figs, which are also in season. Although figs have their partisans, I am not one of them. To me they are the eggplants of the fruit kingdom: seedy, mealy, and generally difficult to deal with. So I was especially impressed by LaSalette's fig cake ($6.95), a formidable wedge of vanilla ice cream studded with walnuts and cosseted top and bottom by a mild, moist gâteau with bits of fig in it and a faintly figgy flavor but not too much! One may never learn to love the fig in isolation, but one can accept it in small, well-costumed roles in ensemble performances.*
Breakfast: Wed.Sun., 8:3011:30 a.m. Brunch: Sun., 11:45 a.m.3 p.m. Lunch: Mon.Fri., 11:45 a.m.2:30 p.m.; Sat., 11:45 a.m.4 p.m. Dinner: Mon.Sat., 59 p.m.; Sun., 39 p.m.
452 First St. E., suite H, Sonoma
Beer and wine
Pleasant noise level
Most Commented On
- If you invest in their "affordable housing fund" you will get a - December 6, 2013
- The Marsh provides - December 6, 2013
- GPD inhabits some alternative reality. - December 6, 2013
- I wonder if people in Washington DC bemoan the bicycle coalition - December 6, 2013
- Does that include the lobbying by unions and transit advocates? - December 6, 2013
- GPD could not be more wrong - December 6, 2013
- Last I Checked SF Was Still Part Of The United States - December 6, 2013
- Ironic - December 6, 2013
- Yes, rent control deters the re-renting of vacant units. - December 6, 2013
- Marcos has been driven out of here, it seems. - December 6, 2013