"The Golden Gate Tennis and Swim Club is a really sweet facility, but it ain't public recreation. Migden's bill benefits some very well-heeled people when the interests of many are at stake."
Migden's bill, which cleared the Senate but must return for final approval because of the amendments, is set to work its way through the Assembly by August. Benson said continued negotiations would be a good thing. "We appreciate Senator Migden's work, but we believe height limits are a locals-only matter to be decided by the Board of Supervisors and the mayor."
But the Barbary Coast Neighborhood Association's Diana Taylor said her group "spent hours getting the community informed, telling the port what we wanted, until eventually we came up with a bottom line, what our compromises were.... That's where senator Carole Migden developed amendments, and this was the first time that we came to a coordinated agreement. But now we find out that the port isn't happy with some of the amendments. What we'd like to see is a more clear-cut strategy to bring the port and the communities together. We're adversaries right now, but we shouldn't be."
With the port set to have a public discussion July 31 about lot 337 (the Giants' parking lot next to Mission Creek), Jennifer Clary of San Francisco Tomorrow notes that Mission Creek is home to 60 species of birds. As she said, "Isn't habitat preservation and restoration part of urban development? Is it really a choice between people and birds? Is that the decision?"<\!s>*
Most Commented On
- Joe, the $1 is only a charge for using a Muni stop and NOT a - March 11, 2014
- Lee could easily build 30,000 new homes if SF's insane - March 11, 2014
- The ban is only on the city buying plastic water bottles for its - March 11, 2014
- I think you misunderstood him. He said that a - March 11, 2014
- Couldn't have said it butter - March 11, 2014
- And your real name is Shannon? - March 11, 2014
- Yes, Shannon, some of us prefer evidence to conjecture, - March 11, 2014
- Total equality is infinitely expensive. - March 11, 2014
- So Tiny wants blacks to be barred from evictions? - March 11, 2014
- I would LOVE to know your - March 11, 2014