Oizo recently directed the forthcoming film Steak, which was scored by Sebastian, Tellier, and himself.
Then there's Kitsuné Music, another Paris label, which is nestled between Ed Banger and the Rapture on the list of Daft Punk's top MySpace friends, a lofty position for those engaged in the cybernetworking circuit. Acts like Digitalism, Crystal Castles, and Riot in Belgium have earned near-cult status through Kitsuné and its heavily rotated compilation series.
With the exception of a few Coachella dates and one-offs, Daft Punk haven't officially toured since supporting Homework in 1997, and now the duo are tearing through the States prior to Electroma's launch. Playing select arena dates, the duo are performing alongside their well-groomed legion of the new French crooners, including Kavinsky, Sebastian, and the Rapture. Most of the dates are already sold out, but in homage to Daft Punk's legacy, the James Friedman<\d> and the Rapture<\d>owned Throne of Blood imprint is throwing a series of after-parties including said supporting acts no Daft Punk, sorry in clubs rather than in enormous amphitheaters.
Whether or not Daft Punk will eventually start building sculptures, go to medical school, or return to the realm of everyday club crushing remains unknown, but their place in dance culture is as solid as Bangalter and Homem-Christo's impenetrable robot helmets.*
Fri/27, 8 p.m., $48.50
UC Berkeley, Gayley Road, Berk.
Most Commented On
- Actually, it just needs to be rephrased to make the list as #27; - May 22, 2013
- Austin Is Next - May 22, 2013
- An end to political correctness would be no bad thing. - May 22, 2013
- But it was a majority who elected Gavin and Ed Lee. - May 22, 2013
- The richest 2% pay 50% of all taxes and so if you - May 22, 2013
- And every SFBG article isn't a tantrum against the right? - May 22, 2013
- PC? SF is looking evermore - May 22, 2013
- Wow, Guest, so your point is that those who pay the most taxes - May 22, 2013
- Speak for yourself - May 22, 2013
- Then throw the rich out - May 22, 2013