The Summer of Love was something different.
I sat for the next few hours listening to musicians like Country Joe McDonald, Taj Mahal, and members of the Steve Miller Band. They were all pretty good, but the highlight for me was hearing Lenore Kandel recite a love poem that would make Lil' Kim blush.
As I made my way through the crowd to leave, I thought about the old joke I was going to start this piece with: How many hippies does it take to change a lightbulb? None, because hippies can't change shit.
Well, the joke is on the joke. The people who celebrated the Summer of Love on Sept. 2 did change something and even if they didn't completely transform society, they were probably the last generation of young Americans to attempt to truly realize their vision of how the world should be. (Justin Juul)
Most Commented On
- You know - July 11, 2014
- How Twitter's creation myth was hatched in San Francisco - July 11, 2014
- Uh - July 11, 2014
- Good - no new housing for anyone, ANYWHERE!! - July 11, 2014
- I was there and have this to say, - July 11, 2014
- pot legallitty exactly like prohibitions end.... - July 11, 2014
- Yes, those poor indigent firefighters. - July 11, 2014
- SF GATE - July 11, 2014
- "(B)oth expensive parking on - July 11, 2014
- Progressives love dragging Milk's corpse out - July 11, 2014