The Summer of Love was something different.
I sat for the next few hours listening to musicians like Country Joe McDonald, Taj Mahal, and members of the Steve Miller Band. They were all pretty good, but the highlight for me was hearing Lenore Kandel recite a love poem that would make Lil' Kim blush.
As I made my way through the crowd to leave, I thought about the old joke I was going to start this piece with: How many hippies does it take to change a lightbulb? None, because hippies can't change shit.
Well, the joke is on the joke. The people who celebrated the Summer of Love on Sept. 2 did change something and even if they didn't completely transform society, they were probably the last generation of young Americans to attempt to truly realize their vision of how the world should be. (Justin Juul)
Most Commented On
- That's your rationale for wanting to mug the rich to - May 21, 2013
- Exactly and that is why public sector workers are losing support - May 21, 2013
- Healthcare Justice - May 21, 2013
- Protesting Too Loudly...? - May 21, 2013
- Hortenica, you're making the same logic error that Tim does. - May 21, 2013
- You missed the point - liberals are very bit as hypocritical. - May 21, 2013
- Even George H.W. Bush... - May 21, 2013
- Greed- pure and simple. - May 21, 2013
- The problem here of course is ObamaCare, which will put - May 21, 2013
- So? - May 21, 2013