Which seems to be fine with the down-to-earth drinkers who perch on leather couches around the neon-lit fireplace that anchors the room's otherwise understated decor.
603 Irving, SF. (415) 731-6433
WILD SIDE WEST
A favorite of lesbians citywide and heteros in the know, this Bernal Heights beauty is most famous for its gorgeous garden patio. But a woodstove, a great jukebox, and strong, well-made drinks also make it perfect for those cold, foggy nights when all you want is a soft scarf, a smooth Scotch, and someone boy, boi, or girl to spoon with.
424 Cortland, SF. (415) 647-3099
OK. Including Hidden Vine may be cheating, as this secret hideaway doesn't have a fireplace per se. But it's sure got the atmosphere. Though this is a high-end drinkery, featuring a different wine region every month and offering an impressive selection of artisanal cheeses, the Vine is more comfy than chichi. And a display of white votive candles gives the impression if not the heat of a fireplace's warmth.
620 Post, SF. (415) 674-3567, www.thehiddenvine.com*
Most Commented On
- Yeah, stats from Europe indicate that clean power costs - December 19, 2013
- Don't pay more! - December 19, 2013
- Interesting that the SFBG says the city loses 30 million a year - December 19, 2013
- I doubt that Josh is his real name either - December 19, 2013
- The "war on PG&E" was really Bruce's thing. - December 19, 2013
- No one cares what you think Josh - December 19, 2013
- The first of dozens? - December 19, 2013
- A floor only sets pay at the floor - December 19, 2013
- Yeah, anyone who writes 200 words to make a single point - December 19, 2013
- Normally you would herald this as "people power". - December 19, 2013