Many still need to return to Iraq to escape poverty, according to BBC news.
2.2 million: Iraqis displaced internally
2 million: Iraqis displaced to neighboring states
Incessant violence across much of Iraq's central and southern regions has forced tens of thousands of people to leave their homes every month, presenting the international community with a humanitarian crisis even larger than the upheaval aid agencies had planned for during the 2003 war, according to United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees’ estimates.
U.S. Military Wounded:
122,000: Wounded since 3/19/03 to 1/6/07
The Guardian cost of Iraq war report (9/10/07): So far, $450 billion for the U.S., $57 billion for California and $1 billion for San Francisco.
Compiled by Paula Connelly
Here is a running total of the cost of the Iraq War to the U.S. taxpayer, provided by the National Priorities Project located in Northampton, Massachusetts. The number is based on Congressional appropriations. Niko Matsakis of Boston, MA and Elias Vlanton of Takoma Park, MD originally created the count in 2003 on costofwar.com. After maintaining it on their own for the first year, they gave it to the National Priorities Project to contribute to their ongoing educational efforts.
To bring the cost of the war home, please note that California has already lost $46 billion and San Francisco has lost $1 billion to the Bush war and his mistakes. In San Francisco alone, the funds used for the war in Iraq could have hired 21,264 additional public school teachers for one year, we could have built 11,048 additional housing units or we could have provided 59,482 students four-year scholarships at public universities. For a further breakdown of the cost of the war to your community, see the NPP website aptly titled "turning data into action."
Most Commented On
- Yes, I don't know why gays want to marry either. - May 24, 2013
- The above comment - May 24, 2013
- The point is that rentals are - May 24, 2013
- I think there isn't a huge value intrinsic in being born here, - May 24, 2013
- Posting your whiney self-rationalization twice does not - May 24, 2013
- Guestma, why should this city be a "haven" for people who cannot - May 24, 2013
- "And it is in no way hateful - May 24, 2013
- As long as the Feds consider pot to be illegal, then the rest - May 24, 2013
- Thanks for re-thinking the earlier caption Caitlin. - May 24, 2013
- :P - May 24, 2013