(The puréeing had been done with a food mill, perhaps, and not a mercilessly efficient electric device.) And an excellent pizzetta ($5) was tomatoless if not quite bianco; roasted red bell peppers provided a smear of color, while rounds of pepperoni floated on a small sea of melted mozzarella cheese.
The kitchen offers a nightly entrée for those who need a more sustained experience of nourishment. It might well be some sort of baked pasta bucatini ($13), maybe, tossed with corn niblets, mushrooms, and fennel in a cream sauce, with gratings of ibérico cheese on top.
"Too much cheese," one of my companions said. Clearly he had not grown up where I did, in the land where there is no such thing as too much cheese.
Panini make a nice alternative to the nightly entrée. A vegetarian version ($9) might include tomatoes, English cheddar cheese, and a pesto made of several varieties of basil, at least one of which had a definitely minty character. Or it might be meatier ($11): bits of smoked duck with a sweetish ensemble of red onion slivers, fig jam, and some dandelion greens.
The dessert menu suggests that a panna cotta nexus is forming in the neighborhood. Excellent versions can be had at nearby Delfina and Farina, and Paréa's ($6) is comparable, if different. It's scented with vanilla, barely sweet, roughly the consistency of mascarpone, and served in a shallow dish with raspberry coulis. It's also incomparably better than a polenta cake ($6), a dried arrangement that even a studding with cherries and lavish scoops of whipped cream could not redeem. It should be banished from the paréa of desserts.
PARÉA WINE BAR AND CAFÉ
Mon. and Wed.Sun., 5 p.m.midnight
795 Valencia, SF
Beer and wine
Most Commented On
- The Issue is The Suburbs Are Also Anti-Development, Like SF - December 9, 2013
- BREAKING NEWS: Shoddy "Journalists" Congratulate Selves - December 9, 2013
- Google and others probably - December 9, 2013
- I'm not from a snobby school, - December 9, 2013
- Dude. I grew up in Eastern - December 9, 2013
- I'm sure some people fit that - December 9, 2013
- Yeah, that's how I got to - December 9, 2013
- I would not say Google came - December 9, 2013
- Really? - December 9, 2013
- EA and Microsoft also have - December 9, 2013