Whatever it is, it's as intent on whittling down the North crew's number as your standard masked dude with machete at a girls' school. Except The Last Winter isn't that kind of horror movie.
It's the kind, rather, that builds an atmosphere of dread from disorientation and psychological fragility instead of things jumping out from behind doors. In fact, as with Wendigo, the least effective elements in The Last Winter are its most literally minded fantastical. Fessenden does ambiguity with such skill that when monster thingies finally arrive, it's a bit of a tacky letdown. The most harrowing moments in this beautifully crafted film are contrastingly realistic, such as a sudden plunge through thin ice into freezing waters.
Movies like The Last Winter don't win awards, and sometimes they don't get distributed. (It's taken this movie more than a year to reach US theaters; elsewhere, it's been shunted directly to DVD.) But I can't think of a genre film I've enjoyed more in 2007, let alone another one that has rewarded repeat viewings. Even if The Last Winter weren't scary, funny, surprising, and gorgeously shot, Fessenden would still warrant all kinds of gratitude for letting the terminally underappreciated and invariably excellent James LeGros carry a movie. He's so good here that if there were any justice in the world ... ah, forget it. There isn't.
THE LAST WINTER
Opens Fri/28 in Bay Area theaters
Most Commented On
- Ann, both are factors, surely. - June 19, 2013
- Everyone knows what trolling - June 19, 2013
- Being "Queen of Kink" is at best an ephemeral honor. - June 19, 2013
- But you're aren't really arguing the "joint" part of that Steven - June 19, 2013
- Why is government employment a good thing in general? - June 19, 2013
- Yes, the SF left always mindlessly supports the city family - June 19, 2013
- I interpreted those to be editorial endorsements - June 19, 2013
- If your case is any good, a lawyer will take it on contingency. - June 19, 2013
- Ann, I know a few people who use the SFBG endorsements as a - June 19, 2013
- Yes, Steven, but the buck still stops with the owner. - June 19, 2013