(This dish, consisting of batter-fried shreds, was the only one we found to be underseasoned. A side cup of ranch dressing, for dipping, helped.) And $12 for an open-faced turkey sandwich? Well, all right, especially since the gravy, flecked with green peas and carrots, was intensely flavorful and the flaps of meat were draped over tasty cheddar biscuits.
On the other hand, $13 for half a rotisserie chicken seemed fair enough, given the snap of the house-made sauce and the moist tenderness of the bird, which wasn't quite confitlike but was in the (sorry!) ballpark. By the time we were staggering toward the far end of this plate of food (which included quarters of roasted new potatoes, just to make sure), we were revisiting the wisdom of having opened with chicken and chorizo nachos ($10) in addition to the zucchini strings. The nachos plate was like many a nachos plate in many a sports bar: a great coming-together of tortilla chips under an oozy cap of melted cheese, with large mounds of sour cream, salsa, and guacamole on top, the last two house-made. The nachos, plus a pitcher or two of beer, would have been plenty to keep a couple of exfrat rats satisfied into extra innings.
But there were no extra innings that night, just another Giants loss, and an exodus of fans streaming forth into the mild evening as we stepped out of Pete's. We waved at old Barry, but he didn't see us, just as we hadn't seen him. *
Daily, 11 a.m.midnight
128 King, SF
Most Commented On
- Treasure Island development plans moving forward after lawsuit - July 22, 2014
- Eviction imminent for San Francisco Community Recycler's Center - July 22, 2014
- Playing chicken - July 22, 2014
- Treading water - July 22, 2014
- My name is Garrett, I am from - July 22, 2014
- Student protesters file claim against City College and SF - July 22, 2014
- Supes to vote on Avalos' "Let's Elect Our Elected Officials" - July 22, 2014
- The problem is people who - July 22, 2014
- Lee family quietly leaves home as activists pledge to push - July 22, 2014
- The dish on knish - July 22, 2014