Leno said, "It's an uncommon situation to have the left and right supporting something that in fact runs counter to local election laws."
Only nine senators opposed the bill, including Carole Migden and Leland Yee. "She thought it was an end around campaign finance laws," Migden aide Eric Potashner told us.
San Francisco's Ethics Commission also took a look at the bill and gave it a 50 thumbs-down, resolving to send a letter to both the mayor and the Board of Supervisors urging them to speak against it. Neither did. "The Mayor supports AB1430," his press secretary, Nathan Ballard, told us by e-mail. "He has some concerns about the local control issue, but ultimately those concerns are overridden by his belief that groups like labor unions and the Democratic Party should be allowed to communicate directly with their members."
The governor's signature now makes it more difficult to pass future measures like Prop O.
Neither the injunction nor the new law seems to be affecting the Nov. 6 election the FPPC won't be ruling on AB 1430 until January, though the commission is holding a hearing for interested people to speak in Sacramento on Nov. 2.
Though BOMA and the Committee on Jobs stated in their filing for the injunction that the law harms their ability to raise and spend money for candidates in this November's election, nothing on record with the Ethics Commission shows they've been putting up a lot of money for Newsom, Kamala Harris, or Michael Hennessey. But there's always next year.
Most Commented On
- People are way too distracted - March 7, 2014
- GCCIuDgaMo - March 7, 2014
- Love the irony, and Twitter's - March 7, 2014
- Mr Diridon really needs to go - March 7, 2014
- I take that as a sign that the NIMBY losers know they have lost - March 7, 2014
- Yes, Cw, only sycophantic adoration of SFBG is allowed here. - March 7, 2014
- *Say something, I'm giving up on you.* - March 7, 2014
- The reason Steven wants to go after AirBnB and not hosts is - March 7, 2014
- If A correlates to B and B corrrelates to C then the chances are - March 7, 2014
- This is one of the few issues where I agree with the SFBG - March 7, 2014