We are now forced to live crammed into the same cage with others of all sorts, with the cheering side benefits of cultural liveliness and hybridity, but our inner ape-man will take a while longer to be bred away, if he ever goes at all. I sincerely hope that we are not someday living in off-Earth colonies, all evolved and beige and Starfleety, and still occasionally passing laws against the one group (besides fat people) it's still OK to subject to state-sponsored discrimination.
Now check this out: back at Slate, where I went to catch up on the Human Nature column, there was this very appetizing column fodder: "Genetic brain manipulation can change sexual orientation in worms." Seriously! Of course, they were worms, and our concept of "sexual interest" can be applied to them tenuously at best, but it does seem to imply that, at least for worms, the capability to "think" like a male worm is present from the beginning, awaiting only the kiss of a genetic engineer to awaken it. Not conclusive, certainly, but hella intriguing. The story is here: www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-10/uou-sas101707.php.
Andrea is home with the kids and going stir-crazy. Write her a letter! Ask her a question! Send her your tedious e-mail forwards! On second thought, don't do that. Just ask her a question.
Most Commented On
- SFMTA chief hopes to calm the parking meter furor at - May 21, 2013
- after first person dealing with progressives - May 21, 2013
- Xorauguynafnvji - May 21, 2013
- Mission of the Commons has - May 21, 2013
- Right wing trash. See how the - May 21, 2013
- I get your point and agree, - May 21, 2013
- San Francisco's loss, - May 21, 2013
- Project much? - May 21, 2013
- Troll. Another miserable, - May 21, 2013
- You're right, there is no similarity - May 21, 2013