We're trying to clean that bloodshed," Moffet said. About the looming threat of the injunction, he added, "We're [going to] stand tall no matter what they say. Everybody makes mistakes. The main thing is trying to better yourself. That's my leadership stopping the violence."
Davis, who helped the film fest at Plaza East secure a digital projector, agreed that the respite in killings is directly attributable to the alleged perpetrators. While she didn't criticize outright the efforts of the city attorney, she did say the recent positive actions by alleged gang members should be noted and that the injunction will likely act as a deterrent to such activities.
Of community-based efforts in the Western Addition, Davis said, they "should be duplicated, not shut down."
But proponents of the injunctions say they won't hinder positive efforts. Nor will it be impossible for targeted gang members to be removed from the list. Public Defender Jeff Adachi is currently pushing for an opt-out provision that would permit injunction targets to petition for their removal by proving they are not involved with gangs. It's an idea that has been supported in concept by the city attorney, though the details have yet to be worked out.
Lt. Ferrando pointed out that the injunctions might help gang members to escape the lifestyle without fear of retribution.
"This gives some guys the chance to leave the area for good," he said, noting that after the first injunction was approved, against the Oakdale Mob in BayviewHunters Point, several members simply never came back to the area and were never served.
Still, those named as members of Eddy Rock expressed concern that their recent positive efforts may go to waste.
"Some of the guys doing the good work are on the injunction. I find that very unique," said Marquez Shaw, a 26-year-old who is described in court papers as a member of the gang, though he is not on the list of targeted individuals.
In a video made by the group during a recent gathering, 20-year-old alleged member Hannibal Thompson says, "We got a lot of good stuff going on right now. Don't take it away from us."
Most Commented On
- Eddie, you think everyone posting as "Guest" is the same person? - March 8, 2014
- Only when they pretend they could moderate a meeting. - March 8, 2014
- Unlike your cogent and - March 8, 2014
- You got a problem with poets? - March 8, 2014
- I liked that 'spin time - March 8, 2014
- czgDRqzDBkpbcV - March 8, 2014
- Greg, we finally found something we can agree on - March 8, 2014
- Yes, Joe, obviously anyone who disagrees with you must be ill. - March 8, 2014
- Why would you feeble and - March 8, 2014
- Who says I'm not considering it? - March 8, 2014