A guide to ecofriendly gifts
12.04.07 - 7:51 pm | Amelia Glynn |
More than 230 plastic milk jugs were diverted from landfills to make each Earth Wagon.
- Reduce, reuse, and rewoof with Planet Dog's RecyleBone and RecycleBall (Bow Wow Meow, 2150 Polk, SF; 415-440-2845, www.bowwowmeow.net) chew toys, made from 100 percent recycled materials.
- Thrill your kitty with a cat tree by Everyday Studio (Branch Home, 245 S. Van Ness, SF; 415-341-1824, www.branchhome.com). Made right here in San Francisco, these modern scratching posts offer good-looking design and a nontoxic paint finish.
- Help a friend take care of their dog's dirty business with Business Bags by Spike (Osso & Co., 501 Broderick, SF; 415-447-8543, www.eurocanine.com). These biodegradable poo bags are fully compostable and biodegrade.
- Reduce your friends' junk mail by up to 90 percent and have 10 trees planted on their behalf! Sign them up at Green Dimes (www.greendimes.com).
- Wow them with one-of-a-kind wood rings by Natalie Trujillo (Paxton Gate, 824 Valencia, SF; 415-824-1872, www.paxtongate.com), handcrafted from found wood pieces and garden clippings.
- Give the gift that keeps giving. Jimi Wallets (Branch Home, 245 S. Van Ness, SF; 415-341-1824, www.branchhome.com) are made from 100 percent recycled plastic, come in a variety of colors, and are priced so you won't burn a hole in yours.
- Send ecofriendly Night Owl Paper Goods holiday cards (Lavish, 540 Hayes, SF; 415-565-0540, www.shoplavish.com), made from sustainably harvested wood.
- Surprise someone special with a super Kobo soy candle (Spring, 2162 Polk, SF; 415-673-2065, www.astorecalledspring.com). Each has a burn time of 70 hours and is healthier for indoor air quality than petroleum-based candles.
- For the person who has everything, there's Plant-Me Pets (Branch Home, 245 S. Van Ness, SF; 415-341-1824, www.branchhome.com). These squeaky toys have seeds for eyes and are made from compostable natural latex rubber. Should they ever outstay their welcome in the home, their owners can simply plant them in soil and watch ’em sprout.
Most Commented On
- UhZYpQYdIrHoLNSFbGw - April 18, 2014
- muAbZelRObmvZW - April 18, 2014
- hPGCEIvEJPfsaPpFotD - April 18, 2014
- One other thing. In the - April 18, 2014
- "People alone who want to - April 18, 2014
- qQnEclrwCks - April 18, 2014
- sLfqqWgljZlsxn - April 18, 2014
- Douchebags are haters who hate on a peaceful day. - April 18, 2014
- SMTlTsxVdWFkRaP - April 18, 2014
- TjmGrSyvfnSJxly - April 18, 2014