(415) 554-3000, www.sfspca.org
Getting involved with any of these groups should add some good old-fashioned, what-it's-all-really-about cheer to your holiday season. And if you really want to maximize your impact, keep these things in mind when volunteering:
(1) Always register for an event before showing up.
(2) Expect some dirty work. Volunteering isn't all about handing out toys to kids. You may need to do a number of unglamorous duties associated with setting up big events.
(3) Consider volunteering more than two hours out of your busy year or making a contribution to an organization that speaks to your heart. How about Wavy Gravy favorite the Seva Foundation (1786 Fifth St., Berk.; 510-845-7382, www.seva.org), which gives aid to needy people internationally from health support in Guatemala to eye care in Tanzania? Or Heifer International (www.heifer.org), through which you can send gifts of llamas, rabbits, and goats to communities that need them? And don't forget local nonprofits, including those helping to clean up the oil spill. *
Most Commented On
- The writing is on the wall (on the waterfront, that is) - May 24, 2013
- Street music - May 23, 2013
- Okay. In case you hadn't - May 23, 2013
- So that would make Asians - May 23, 2013
- Kind of funny...... - May 23, 2013
- And anyway, you missed my - May 23, 2013
- SF schools not geared for trades - May 23, 2013
- I do live in a place I can - May 23, 2013
- If your out of town workers - May 23, 2013
- I was there last night... - May 23, 2013