(Though Shepherd's career would ultimately recover better than his.) Still, it has charms including Reynolds, who makes musical amateurism seem a wry in-joke.
Always haphazard in picking projects (he reportedly turned down James Bond, Die Hard, Terms of Endearment, and Star Wars), Reynolds gradually eroded his stardom. Despite a prestige boost from Boogie Nights (which he thought dreadful until it started getting raves), he's continued to take work whenever, wherever. He's now 71 years old, a trooper who can't or won't quit, though his odds of ending on a grace note grow remote. He certainly deserves better than Cloud 9, one of eight acting jobs he took last year alone that no one noticed. He has the starring role: coach to an all-stripper volleyball team. Sigh. If he understood that he remains well loved, would he be choosier? Unlikely. The Reynolds archetype is an all-American winner who knowingly pratfalls into loserdom, winking en route. That fallen-jock-angel persona remains sexy. He minted it.
THREE MOUSTACHE RIDES WITH BURT REYNOLDS
Fri/7 (At Long Last Love, 7:30 p.m.; The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, 9:45 p.m.; Smokey and the Bandit, midnight), $10
429 Castro, SF
Most Commented On
- Wow guys - July 31, 2014
- I've been working for 25 years and I've never seen an - July 31, 2014
- IEFEMWGNLLl - July 31, 2014
- An artiface, a choice that - July 31, 2014
- How the great Dr Oduma helped me - July 31, 2014
- How the great Dr Oduma helped me phone +2347055413648 - July 31, 2014
- fSVVJyMpXcxnjuQ - July 31, 2014
- Yes, there is of course no harm done by such informal sharing. - July 31, 2014
- He prefers a clockwise rotation while being wiped - July 31, 2014
- It's to do with accounting but is not a contrivance. - July 31, 2014